Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Vincent Deffontaines <vi...@gryzor.com> on 2003/06/30 18:10:39 UTC

fr translating newcomer

Greetings,

I am a french newbie of this list, mostly here to help translate stuff in
french, as I can see a lot of documentations lack a french version, and I
am gonna have time this summer :-)
I actually saw some HTML french files, but couldn't find their xml relatives.

Several questions :
- I saw no french DTD or XSL files? Do i have to start generating them?
- In a general way, is there some thing more urgent than others I should
start with?
- Any doc anywhere about the way to play with special characters, such as
accents? Anyone having some vim macros for me to hack?

Btw, I am quite interested to get a SSHed CVS access, as I mostly work
behind a firewall that denies pserver. For now I have only looked and
played with the tarballs.

Regards,

Vincent

--
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

Re: fr translating newcomer -> french xsl

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Vincent Deffontaines wrote:
> Good.
> Here is the XSL stuff, to start with :
> manual/style/manual.fr.xsl and manual/style/lang/fr.xml
>
> Is that okay to you guys?

Looks good to me.  One other little issue is that we need another fluent
french speaker to have a look and confirm that the translation is
accurate.  We used to have some here on the list, but I'm not sure if they
are around any more.

[My french is good enough to understand the general point, but not good
enough to judge the quality.]

Joshua.

Re: fr translating newcomer -> french xsl

Posted by Vincent Deffontaines <vi...@gryzor.com>.

Re: fr translating newcomer

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Vincent Deffontaines wrote:
> I am a french newbie of this list, mostly here to help translate stuff in
> french, as I can see a lot of documentations lack a french version, and I
> am gonna have time this summer :-)
> I actually saw some HTML french files, but couldn't find their xml relatives.

Welcome!

Yes, the existing french files in the tree predate the xml conversion.
They should be replaced by xml.

> Several questions :
> - I saw no french DTD or XSL files? Do i have to start generating them?

I don't think a new DTD is necessary, but yes, you will need to create a
manual/style/manual.fr.xsl and manual/style/lang/fr.xml

> - In a general way, is there some thing more urgent than others I should
> start with?

Not that I know of.

> - Any doc anywhere about the way to play with special characters, such as
> accents? Anyone having some vim macros for me to hack?

Probably our German contingent could provide some advice.

> Btw, I am quite interested to get a SSHed CVS access, as I mostly work
> behind a firewall that denies pserver. For now I have only looked and
> played with the tarballs.

Start by sending in some stuff to the mailing list.  CVS access will come
if you keep sending good stuff.

Joshua.

Re: fr translating newcomer

Posted by Vincent Deffontaines <vi...@gryzor.com>.
AndréMalo said:

> However, fr.xml and bind.xml - are these reviewed in the meantime?

They are in the review pipe, together with a few others I have translated
so far. I will email them all back to the list as soon as they are
reviewed.

Vincent

Re: fr translating newcomer

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Vincent Deffontaines wrote:

> Several questions :
> - I saw no french DTD or XSL files? Do i have to start generating them?
> - In a general way, is there some thing more urgent than others I should
> start with?

Beside the fr.xml file, the sitemap is a good candidate to work on, since it's
the base for other transformations, like CHM (MS Help) format.

> - Any doc anywhere about the way to play with special characters, such as
> accents? Anyone having some vim macros for me to hack?

That's your decision. You're using iso-8859-1, so characters like é or ç can
be used in normal 8-bit encoding. Within the actual documents we included the
W3C character entities that are well-known from HTML, so you may use &eacute;
and &ccedil; instead.

> Btw, I am quite interested to get a SSHed CVS access, as I mostly work
> behind a firewall that denies pserver. For now I have only looked and
> played with the tarballs.

Hmm. AFAICS the tarballs contain only HEAD, which is 2.1. A checkout would be
much better (btw: the APACHE_2_0_BRANCH is for 2.0). Is it possible to talk
with your admin? ;-)

However, fr.xml and bind.xml - are these reviewed in the meantime?

nd