Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/27 01:16:31 UTC

Vote For A) README_UBUNTU B) "Compiling on Ubuntu" In README

I'd like to get a vote by the contributors on which approach to use.
I'll start the voting:

A) +1 because I don't know how much information might be needed and
the information might change for different versions of Accumulo. Also
the README might wind up with many OS-specific sections. And, lastly
because I've already done it. :)

Re: Vote For A) README_UBUNTU B) "Compiling on Ubuntu" In README

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.
No. I'll try to do this tomorrow if nobody does it first.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
Dave,

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Neither

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Dave Marion <dl...@comcast.net>.
  Neither. Looking over the README, it contains information for developers
and users. So, we have a README, user and developer manuals, and a wiki.
This information is clearly for developers, maybe it should go in the
developer manual or on the web site in the developer guide section[1].

  It almost seems as if there are too many documents. Maybe get rid of the
README, and instead have a CHANGES document that details the differences
between releases. Then, in addition, have a user and developer manual in the
distribution, and make those document also available from the web site.
Three documents instead of four, each having their own distinct purpose.

[1] http://accumulo.apache.org/source.html

Dave