Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by hurtlingturtle <br...@hurtlingturtle.com> on 2013/03/28 19:09:33 UTC

Lucene Sizing Metrics

Hi,
Are there any sizing metrics available for Lucene indexes?  I am unclear on
how this would scale up.  I am considering what indexing technology to use
to index many hundreds of terabytes of documents and email content to enable
searching of that content for keywords and phrases and also ensuring that
the results are security trimmed.
My concerns are around the following sizing details...
Cores
RAM
Servers
Disks
Shards

and anything else you think would be relevant :)
thanks
hurtlingturtle

Re: Lucene Sizing Metrics

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
It all depends on your data and your policies.

That much data is not a good fit for a single machine, but is quite
plausible for SolrCloud.

I would recommend that you run some experiments with different trade-offs.
 It is common for a Lucene index to be a fraction of the size of the
original text which would mean that your final index would be several
terabytes which might require dozens to hundreds of instances to
effectively search and/or maintain.  The error bars on such an estimate,
however, are huge and you should test it for yourself.