Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/04/05 02:53:33 UTC

RE: Splitting struts-config into multiple jar and read them as reso urce stream

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:48:03 -0800, Martin Cooper wrote:
> Let me throw out a few thoughts on this thread, and modules in
> general, as I try to catch up. (I'm still in this seemingly-
> perpetual state of not having the time to fully expound on my
> thoughts on future enhancements to modules, darn it! ;)

Another thing to think about is that we also want to position ourselves to support JAR 168 portlets before long.

Is there going to be a relationship between portlets and modules? Are we going to be able to use modules as portlets? Or are we going to be able to have modules within portlets?

> 4) As I've mentioned before (in this same thread, I think), I
> believe we need to factor out the configuration code and make it
> pluggable. Going forward, the Struts Core should rely on certain
> configuration objects being defined, without caring about how they
> got there. The default config reader, obviously, would do what we
> do today, but we should make it easy to provide an alternate config
> reader that might do its thing in an entirely different manner.
> (I'm sure the IoC fans out there will have something to say on this
> topic. ;)

+1

I haven't looked at Joe's code yet, but it would be very helpful if we could manufacture configurations in a testing environment, without having to read them in from an XML file. Once we have contexts in the signatures, it will be easy to test the core components independently.

-Ted.