Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com> on 2015/10/25 05:11:44 UTC

Heads up on MapR test framework and file ordering (specifically MD-185 tests)

A large number of tests associated with MD-185 are unintentionally brittle.
Many of these tests reference more than one file. The tests are planning
tests and thus are prone to failure if the file ordering isn't the same as
what was used for test generation.

In the case of these types of tests, people should be cautious of adding
expected results that include multiple files in a certain order. I'm
working on a patch fix for these specific tests but wanted to let people
know to be cautious of these issues in the future.

thanks!

--
Jacques Nadeau
CTO and Co-Founder, Dremio

Re: Heads up on MapR test framework and file ordering (specifically MD-185 tests)

Posted by Chun Chang <cc...@maprtech.com>.
Just verify numFiles may not be sufficient. I will see if I can enhance the
verification code to handle both. Thanks. -Chun

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Chun Chang <cc...@maprtech.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by rahul challapalli <ch...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,

This is a known pain point. We cannot get away from adding planning tests
which scan more than one file. With many of the existing planning tests we
are verifying one of the following

1. Check the structure of the plan
2. Verify the scanned files to test pruning

Atleast for the second case a simple unordered list (of scanned files)
verification is sufficient. This might eliminate some of the hassle with
ordering files. Thoughts ?

Note : Because we use a regex based verification , its important to match
the "numFiles" option in the plan as well

- Rahul