Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Wei Zhu <wz...@yahoo.com> on 2013/04/23 20:11:21 UTC

move data from Cassandra 1.1.6 to 1.2.4

Hi,
We are trying to upgrade from 1.1.6 to 1.2.4, it's not really a live upgrade. We are going to retire the old hardware and bring in a set of new hardware for 1.2.4.
For old cluster, we have 5 nodes with RF = 3, total of 1TB data.
For new cluster, we will have 10 nodes with RF = 3. We will use VNodes. What is the best way to bring the data from 1.1.6 to 1.2.4? A couple of concerns:
	* We also use LCS and plan to increase SSTable size.

	* We use randomPartitioner, we should stick with it, not to mess up with murmur3?

Thanks for your feedback.

-Wei

Re: move data from Cassandra 1.1.6 to 1.2.4

Posted by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov>.
But 1.1.4 does not have Vnodes, right?  In that case, I would baby step it doing the upgrade to 1.24 first on the old nodes, and after that is done then adding the new nodes in,  and after that is done then decommissioning the old nodes…finally I would convert to vnodes….and I would try that all in QA of course first.  Some of these steps you can do while the cluster is live like adding new nodes.

Dean

From: Wei Zhu <wz...@yahoo.com>>
Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:53 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<ma...@cassandra.apache.org>" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: move data from Cassandra 1.1.6 to 1.2.4

Hi Dean,
It's a bit different case for us. We will have a set of new machines to replace the old ones and we want to migrate those data over. I would imagine to do something like

 *   Let new nodes (with VNodes) join the cluster
 *   decommission the old nodes. (Without VNodes)

Thanks.
-Wei

We went from 1.1.4 to 1.2.2 and in QA rolling restart failed but in production and QA bringing down the whole cluster upgrading every node and then bringing it back up worked fine.  We left ours at randompartitioner and had LCS as well.  We did not convert to Vnodes at all.  Don't know if it helps at all, but it is a similar case I would think.

Dean

Posted by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov>.