Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2015/04/29 17:03:42 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we still support hadoop-1.2.x API (-Phadoop-1)?

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:16 PM, Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Yes, question is whether users want to run latest Hive version on Hadoop
> 1.x clusters.

But you ignored the more important question that I asked. Are you
personally willing to do the work to make sure that Hive works with Hadoop
1.x? There are five new jiras (HIVE-10430, 10431, 10442, 10443, 10444) because
trunk currently does not work with Hadoop 1.x and no one noticed.

Supporting Hadoop 1.x costs the Hive project a lot of work and provides
very little in return.

.. Owen

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we still support hadoop-1.2.x API (-Phadoop-1)?

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com>.
Yes I think its a good compromise to at least add compilation of -Phadoop-1
until we reach consensus on a timeline.

I have actually filed a JIRA for that half a year back, HIVE-7375, I will
take a look.  It was unfortunate this was deprioritzed in favor of running
tests, which was not successful due to the time/resource taken.

Thanks
Szehon

PS all precommit tests are actually broken right now due to the build
machine not being able to checkout from ASF github, I have filed HIVE-10583
to fix it, will send a follow up email on that in another topic once that's
resolved.

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.
Szehon, can we agree that hive-1.2 is the last hive version which supports
hadoop-1.
Starting from hive-1.3 it requires hadoop-2

So, most probably "organizations" will start to install hive-1.2 in the
next 6 months.
Then they will use it for 1-2 years until they want to upgrade to the next
hive version.
So, for the next 2 years "organizations" as good. They can use hive-1.2
with hadoop-1.

But after 2 years (in 2017) they are kinda forced to uprate to hadoop-2 if
they want to use hive-1.3

Alex

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.