Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fung <fo...@qq.com> on 2016/09/06 16:00:10 UTC

Re: AW: How to set up a separate configuration for a Tomcatapplication

Mark,
   Now I got it.Sincerely,Thank you very much.
Fung

From:  "Mark Thomas";<ma...@apache.org>;
Date:  Mon, Sep 5, 2016 11:54 PM
To:  "Tomcat Users List"<us...@tomcat.apache.org>;

Subject:  Re: AW: How to set up a separate configuration for a Tomcatapplication

On 05/09/2016 16:13, Fung wrote:
> I'm going to get it right now.
> I make a xml file "download.xml" at apache-tomcat-8.0.15\conf\Catalina\localhost,the contents are as follows:
>

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <Context docBase="F:\nas" />
>

> And,open the tomcat web.xml listings to true.
> This is done.Now I can access F:\nas by http://localhost:8080/download/
>

> But there are still problems.Why the independent context file's name must be the path name?

Because that is the way it is designed. Think about it. If it were
anything else, how would Tomcat know which web application the file was
meant to apply to?

> And why I set "Context path='xxx'",the path never work?

Did you read the Context docs [1]? Again, think about it. If I have
directories $CATALINA_BASE/webapps/app1 and $CATALINA_BASE/webapps/app2
and a file $CATALINA_BASE/webapps/app1/META-INF/context.xml that
contains path="/app2" what happens? It gets even more 'interesting' if
you add auto-deployment into the mix.

The current behaviour is designed so that Tomcat's behaviour is
consistent and easy to understand across a wide range of edge cases. In
particular it ensures it is impossible to deploy 2 web applications with
conflicting paths.

To give you an idea of how complex this could get, look at the automatic
deployment behaviour [2] and start thinking about how messy things would
get if editing a context.xml file could change a deployment path (and
hence create conflicting paths).

Mark

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/context.html

[2] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/automatic-deployment.html