Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> on 2015/06/14 22:10:00 UTC

[VOTE] Release Configuration 2.0-beta1 based on RC1

Hi all,

this is a vote for the first beta version of [configuration] 2.0 based
on the first release candidate. After two alpha versions, it is now time
to move to a beta version. Since the last alpha version, there has only
be a small change: an obsolete interface has been removed. Details are
available in the release notes.

Switching to beta indicates that we expect the interfaces to become more
stable. However, there is still not yet a guarantee that there will be
no more changes on the API.

Because this is a beta and not yet an official release I did not deploy
the artifacts to Nexus; only the distributions were created.

Configuration 2.0-beta1 RC1 is available for review here:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/configuration
(revision 9374)

Details of changes since 1.10 and the alpha versions are in the
release notes:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/configuration/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-2.0-beta1-rc1/changes-report.html

Here is the tag:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_2_0_beta1_RC1
(revision 1685450)

Site:
   http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-2.0-beta1-rc1/
(note some links in the menu for version 1.10 are not yet working)

KEYS:
  http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

Please review the release candidate and vote.
This vote will close no sooner than 72 hours from now, i.e. after 2000
GMT 17-June 2015

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Thanks!
Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Release Configuration 2.0-beta1 based on RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Checked src zip, MD5, ASC OK.

Builds with 'mvn clean site'.

Reports OK.

Tested with:

Apache Maven 3.2.5 (12a6b3acb947671f09b81f49094c53f426d8cea1;
2014-12-14T09:29:23-08:00)
Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.2.5
Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_79\jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Configuration 2.0-beta1 based on RC1

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Making my vote explicit:

+1

Oliver

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 06/14/2015 10:10 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is a vote for the first beta version of [configuration] 2.0 based
> on the first release candidate. After two alpha versions, it is now time
> to move to a beta version. Since the last alpha version, there has only
> be a small change: an obsolete interface has been removed. Details are
> available in the release notes.
>
> Switching to beta indicates that we expect the interfaces to become more
> stable. However, there is still not yet a guarantee that there will be
> no more changes on the API.
>
> Because this is a beta and not yet an official release I did not deploy
> the artifacts to Nexus; only the distributions were created.
>
> Configuration 2.0-beta1 RC1 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/configuration
> (revision 9374)
>
> Details of changes since 1.10 and the alpha versions are in the
> release notes:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/configuration/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-2.0-beta1-rc1/changes-report.html
>
> Here is the tag:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_2_0_beta1_RC1
> (revision 1685450)
>
> Site:
>    http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-2.0-beta1-rc1/
> (note some links in the menu for version 1.10 are not yet working)
>
> KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
> This vote will close no sooner than 72 hours from now, i.e. after 2000
> GMT 17-June 2015
>
>   [x] +1 Release these artifacts

tested with

Apache Maven 3.1.1 (0728685237757ffbf44136acec0402957f723d9a; 2013-09-17
17:22:22+0200)
Maven home: /home/tn/bin/apache-maven-3.1.1
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-i386/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "3.13.0-49-generic", arch: "i386", family: "unix"

I got the same test error as Bruno, but not a blocker imho.

Thomas

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1

Got the same test failure as Thomas and Bruno testing with

Apache Maven 3.2.3
OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.10.3", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"

Checked sigs and hashes good.  Distro contents look good.  Jar has
right contents and looks good.

Phil

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Oliver,

> Am 15.06.2015 um 21:34 schrieb Oliver Heger:
> > Hi Bruno,
> >
> > Am 15.06.2015 um 10:34 schrieb Bruno P. Kinoshita:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> -1 not binding
> >>
> >> The following test fails in Ubuntu 14.04 with Java versions:
> >>
> >> * 1.8.0_45, vendor: Oracle Corporation, Java home:
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre* 1.7.0_79, vendor: Oracle Corporation Java
> home: /opt/jdk1.7.0_79/jre* 1.6.0_45, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. Java
> home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-oracle/jre
> >>
> >> And Maven:
> >> Apache Maven 3.2.5 (12a6b3acb947671f09b81f49094c53f426d8cea1;
> 2014-12-15T06:29:23+13:00)
> >>
> >> Failed tests:
> >>   TestDefaultFileSystem.testGetOutputStreamInvalidPath Expected
> exception: org.apache.commons.configuration2.ex.ConfigurationException
> >>
> >> Tried with
> >> * 1.7.0_79, vendor: Oracle Corporation Java home: /opt/jdk1.7.0_79/jre
> >> And Maven
> >> Apache Maven 3.3.3 (7994120775791599e205a5524ec3e0dfe41d4a06;
> 2015-04-22T23:57:37+12:00)
> >>
> >> But the test still failed.
> >> Running in Eclipse to investigate it, looks like it tries to create a
> `new File("this is/<certainly>\\an#invalid#*path!")` and is expecting for
> an exception.
> >>
> >> Looking in my workspace I can see that Java successfully created some
> directories:
> >> kinow@chuva:/tmp/CONFIGURATION_2_0_beta1_RC1$ ls -R thi*
> >> this is:
> >> <certainly>\an#invalid#*path!
> >> kinow@chuva:/tmp/CONFIGURATION_2_0_beta1_RC1$
> >> i.e. a directory "this is" was created, with a child directory
> "<certainly>\an#invalid#*path!"
> >> Later it fails to `rm` the child directory due to its name, so you need
> to delete it by its inode: cd this\ is && find -inum $(ls -i | awk '{print
> $1}') -exec rm {} \;
> >> One simple solution might be replace
> >> new File("this is/<certainly>\\an#invalid#*path!")
> >> by
> >>
> >> new File("")
> >> Which is an invalid path too.
> >
> > thanks for the review. I will have a look at the problematic test case
> > and probably follow your suggestion. But as this issue is only in test
> > code, I would not consider this blocking.
>
> Fixed in SVN in revision 1686103. Thanks again for the proposal.
>
> I am afraid that the vote will not pass as there is no more feedback. I
> will leave it still open for a while and try to prepare another RC if
> there is no further reaction.

Unless there are real blockers found, you can leave the vote open as long
as you want. Sometimes people just can't manage to review an RC within 72
hours. Sometimes forwarding the vote mail to private@ helps to get more PMC
members involved.
I'm on vacation until next Tuesday. If the vote is still open by then, I'll
do my review for you ;-)

Best regards,
Benedikt

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [VOTE] Release Configuration 2.0-beta1 based on RC1

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Hi Bruno,

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Configuration 2.0-beta1 based on RC1

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
The vote to release [configuration] 2.0-beta1 has passed with the
following votes (* = binding):

Gary Gregory:   	+1 (*)
Bruno P. Kinoshita	-1
Thomas Neidhart		+1 (*)
Phil Steitz		+1 (*)
Oliver Heger		+1 (*)

Many thanks for all reviews and comments. I will start the release
procedure probably at the weekend.