Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Anton Schoultz <AS...@RUBICO.COM> on 2002/05/08 10:49:30 UTC

Problem getting Slide working

Hi,

I'm rather new to Tomcat and Slide and I get the feeling that I've missed
something simple, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm running JDK 1.3.1 on a Win2000 machine.
Tomcat 4.0.3 has been installed and seems to work ok
(I can see tomcat's index.html page)

Following Dr. Peter Nevermann's instructions (e-mailed to slide-user 3rd
May)
I downloaded the nightly build from 2002-05-05 and extracted it. I copied
the slide\webapp\slide.war into my Tomcat403\webapps directory and started
up TC. The war was extracted. I then stopped TC, and edited the Domain.xml
as per Peter's email to activate versioning.
After restarting TC, I used MS Windows Explorer to map network folder
(In theory a WebDAV connection) to http://localhost:8080/slide. The Explorer

makes the connection and shows a sub-folder called files, but no content.
I was unable to save a document to it (from MSWord - WebDAV enabled).
I also tried using DAVExplorer with similar results. Where would this
files folder live on my box, I could not see it under the
slide sub-folder of webapps (where I expected it). Do I need to hack out
the examples and webdav servlet that come with the TC distribution ?

I then tried to run the server within the slide night build, and got this
error

org/xml/sax/InputSource
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown Source)

We are hoping to utilize the Delta-V versioning capabilities and would also
like to
add text search capabilities within the slide framework.

Any pointer, hints tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, could anyone point me to some intermediate level documentation on
slide?
The slide guide gave a nice high-level over-view (few block diagrams), and
the
javadoc and UML models give the finer detail which we will need when we
start
coding the text search, but I'd like something in-between these.

Anton Schoultz

Rubico (Pty) Ltd
Cell Phone:  +27 83 651 7191
Tel:  +27 (11) 808 1000