Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Mi...@Dell.com on 2010/08/23 21:33:42 UTC

Message Size limitations

Are there any known message size limitations imposed by thrift, or at least a recommended maximum size (bytes)?   Has any investigation been done to discover what an average max size being transferred by most thrift users is?

Thanks!

Michael Brindamour
Dell  |  Software Engineer
300 Innovative Way
Nashua, NH  03062  USA

Michael_Brindamour@Dell.com
office:  1.603.589.5845

Re: Message Size limitations

Posted by Dave Engberg <de...@evernote.com>.
We send messages up to 50MB.  Since Thrift encodes data pretty
efficiently on the wire, you don't have to worry about a lot of overhead
(e.g. from Base64 encoding in some XML format).

The only real limits would be your transport layer and how much memory
you have on both sides to marshal and unmarshal the corresponding
objects and any temporary buffers.  We have seen some issues with mobile
phones that can't easily juggle 4 copies of a 50MB data structure.