Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/28 22:08:37 UTC

IP Clearance vs Full incubation

Folks,

I was browsing the ip-clearance documents
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/).
IMNSHO, I don't like what's happening. It *SHOULD* be incubator PMC's
call whether an incoming donation can take "IP Clearance" route or
whether it needs undergo full incubation. A sponsoring PMC should not
call the shots on which mechanism is to be used. I don't remember
how/who decided on some of the ip clearance things that happened so
far.

Does anyone agree/disagree?

thanks,
dims

Re: IP Clearance vs Full incubation

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 12/29/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/28/05, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I was browsing the ip-clearance documents
> > (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/).
> > IMNSHO, I don't like what's happening. It *SHOULD* be incubator PMC's
> > call whether an incoming donation can take "IP Clearance" route or
> > whether it needs undergo full incubation. A sponsoring PMC should not
> > call the shots on which mechanism is to be used. I don't remember
> > how/who decided on some of the ip clearance things that happened so
> > far.
> >
> > Does anyone agree/disagree?
>
> does IP clearence require some sort of vote from the incubator pmc?
>
> if not then the process seems a little wrong to me
>
> if so then 'needs full incubation' would be a valid reason for a -1

>From the sponsoring PMC point of view, they are two options that I see:

1) Write up a proposal, submit it to general@incubator, get told that
it doesn't need incubation.

2) Inform Incubator that code ABC is software granted and they plan to
commit it within T time period.

I'm in favour of the latter. Took me 3 months to get to a point where
I grokked that :)

Hen

Re: IP Clearance vs Full incubation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 12/28/05, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was browsing the ip-clearance documents
> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/).
> IMNSHO, I don't like what's happening. It *SHOULD* be incubator PMC's
> call whether an incoming donation can take "IP Clearance" route or
> whether it needs undergo full incubation. A sponsoring PMC should not
> call the shots on which mechanism is to be used. I don't remember
> how/who decided on some of the ip clearance things that happened so
> far.
>
> Does anyone agree/disagree?

does IP clearence require some sort of vote from the incubator pmc?

if not then the process seems a little wrong to me

if so then 'needs full incubation' would be a valid reason for a -1

- robert