Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2010/01/23 13:02:17 UTC

Optimized Maven dependencies for java 1.6

Hi all,

cxf currently has some dependencies on stuff that is already integrated
in java >= 1.6. Can these dependencies be safely excluded by users?

I guess most people already use java 1.6 so another question is: Would
it make sense to not include these dependencies by default? Java 1.5
users could still
add them to their poms.

Some of the dependencies I suspect to be in Java 1.6 are:
com.sun.xml.bind:jaxb-impl:jar:2.1.12:compile
javax.xml.bind:jaxb-api:jar:2.1:compile
javax.xml.soap:saaj-api:jar:1.3:compile
org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-activation_1.1_spec:jar:1.0.2:compile
org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec:jar:1.1.1:compile
org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec:jar:1.6:compile
org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-jaxws_2.1_spec:jar:1.0:compile
org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-ws-metadata_2.0_spec:jar:1.1.2:compile

I am not sure if I found them all.

Greetings

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
---

Re: Optimized Maven dependencies for java 1.6

Posted by da...@davidkarlsen.com.
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Christian Schneider wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> cxf currently has some dependencies on stuff that is already integrated in
> java >= 1.6. Can these dependencies be safely excluded by users?
>
> I guess most people already use java 1.6 so another question is: Would it
> make sense to not include these dependencies by default? Java 1.5 users could
> still
> add them to their poms.
>
> Some of the dependencies I suspect to be in Java 1.6 are:
> com.sun.xml.bind:jaxb-impl:jar:2.1.12:compile
> javax.xml.bind:jaxb-api:jar:2.1:compile
> javax.xml.soap:saaj-api:jar:1.3:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-activation_1.1_spec:jar:1.0.2:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec:jar:1.1.1:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec:jar:1.6:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-jaxws_2.1_spec:jar:1.0:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-ws-metadata_2.0_spec:jar:1.1.2:compile

The best is probably to parameterize this with profiles, which get's
activated by the jdk.level.

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com

Re: Optimized Maven dependencies for java 1.6

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Sat January 23 2010 7:02:17 am Christian Schneider wrote:
> cxf currently has some dependencies on stuff that is already integrated
> in java >= 1.6. Can these dependencies be safely excluded by users?

We have a "WHICH_JARS" doc in the lib dir of the distribution that documents
some of this:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/distribution/src/main/release/lib/WHICH_JARS

> I guess most people already use java 1.6 so another question is: Would
> it make sense to not include these dependencies by default? Java 1.5
> users could still add them to their poms.

I've been thinking something along these lines for 2.3 as well.   Add a
"java5" profile or similar to the poms to add in stuff required to run on Java
5.     The distribution becomes a little more complicated if we want to ship
the jars so the distro can work on Java 5, but that is doable.

There MAY be issues with the TCK.   I've never gotten the JAX-WS tck to pass
on Java6 yet.   2 date related tests fail and I've never had the time to
really care (since it passes on Java 5 which is enough for certification).
We basically have to certify the "out of the box" stuff so if we don't ship
the java5 required deps, I wouldn't be able to keep certifying on java5 and
I'd have to spend time actually figuring out he java 6 issue.   :-)

> Some of the dependencies I suspect to be in Java 1.6 are:
> com.sun.xml.bind:jaxb-impl:jar:2.1.12:compile
> javax.xml.bind:jaxb-api:jar:2.1:compile
> javax.xml.soap:saaj-api:jar:1.3:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-activation_1.1_spec:jar:1.0.2:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec:jar:1.1.1:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec:jar:1.6:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-jaxws_2.1_spec:jar:1.0:compile
> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-ws-metadata_2.0_spec:jar:1.1.2:compile

You missed the StAX stuff and saaj-impl.

I would definitely prefer keeping our version of jaxb-impl (and jaxb-xjc) as
part of the poms.   We constantly have to keep up with that due to bugs we
keep finding there and using the real jars there allows things to work
properly with any of the java6 JVM's (greater than update 4).

StAX is another "interesting" issue.   Technically, we should be able to use
the StAX parser in Java6, I just REALLY don't recommend it.   Woodstox is
faster and much less buggy.

Anyway, I'd definitely be in favor of getting profiles setup for this.  Go for
it.   :-)

One TRICKY aspect might be that getting jdk version activated profiles working
for both maven 2.0.x and 2.2.1 is hard.  Might require two profiles.  Not 100%
sure.   I know one of my co-workers was complaining a couple weeks ago trying
to accomplish support for both maven versions.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Optimized Maven dependencies for java 1.6

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I think we had this with 1.6.0 update 3. The problem then was that you
could not simply switch ajxb as it was from the endorsed packages.
So as far as I know these cases cannot simply be solved by maven.

Greetings

Christian

Posted by Alessio Soldano <as...@redhat.com>.