Posted to fx-dev@ws.apache.org by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/11 08:44:49 UTC

Exponential backoff Policy

Hi All,

Does anyone exactly know how adjust the retransmission intervals when
exponentionBackoff=true.

What I have in mind is , if the base retransmission interval is 400 ms. the
message retransmission interval should be adjusted as
400,800,1600,3200,..... etc for successive retransmissions of the same
message. Is this the correct interpretation ???

Thanx,
Chamikara

Re: Exponential backoff Policy

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@gmail.com>.
oops. OK :-)
Seems like the best way is to make it plugable.

Thanx,
Chamikara

Posted by Philipp Reinecke <pr...@informatik.hu-berlin.de>.
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:47:21AM +0000, Paul Fremantle wrote:

Hello,

> The WS-RX committee has just removed exponential backoff from the working
> spec :-)

Erm, that's... interesting. Could you maybe point me to the
spec in question (I could not find it with a quick search)?

Thank you,

Philipp Reinecke

Re: Exponential backoff Policy

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@gmail.com>.
oops. OK :-)

Posted by Philipp Reinecke <pr...@informatik.hu-berlin.de>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philipp Reinecke <pr...@informatik.hu-berlin.de>.
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 01:44:49PM +0600, Chamikara Jayalath wrote:

Hello,

> Does anyone exactly know how adjust the retransmission intervals when
> exponentionBackoff=true.
>
> What I have in mind is , if the base retransmission interval is 400 ms. the
> message retransmission interval should be adjusted as
> 400,800,1600,3200,..... etc for successive retransmissions of the same
> message. Is this the correct interpretation ???

I seem to recall that I asked a similar question a while
back, and while I do not have a definitive answer, I tend
to agree with your interpretation:

(a) Just do a simple binary exponential backoff, i.e.
double the interval on every retransmission.

(b) Back off for individual messages, not whole sequences.
This is because there is no way to shrink the interval with
exponential backoff, therefore you might soon end up with a
very large interval and all its associated problems, foremost
that of not being able to detect loss on time, just because
a few messages had to be resent.

> Thanx,
> Chamikara

Regards,

Philipp Reinecke

Re: Exponential backoff Policy

Posted by Philipp Reinecke <pr...@informatik.hu-berlin.de>.
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 01:44:49PM +0600, Chamikara Jayalath wrote:

Hello,

> Does anyone exactly know how adjust the retransmission intervals when
> exponentionBackoff=true.
>
> What I have in mind is , if the base retransmission interval is 400 ms. the
> message retransmission interval should be adjusted as
> 400,800,1600,3200,..... etc for successive retransmissions of the same
> message. Is this the correct interpretation ???

I seem to recall that I asked a similar question a while
back, and while I do not have a definitive answer, I tend
to agree with your interpretation:

(a) Just do a simple binary exponential backoff, i.e.
double the interval on every retransmission.

(b) Back off for individual messages, not whole sequences.
This is because there is no way to shrink the interval with
exponential backoff, therefore you might soon end up with a
very large interval and all its associated problems, foremost
that of not being able to detect loss on time, just because
a few messages had to be resent.

> Thanx,
> Chamikara

Regards,