Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com> on 2012/09/06 22:28:58 UTC

2.7.4 release?

hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a chance to get a 2.7.4 release soon. There
have been numerous fixes since 2.7.3 and unfortunately, we are not allowed
to adopt a non-released snapshot. Basic internal testing seems to suggest
2.7.4 is pretty stable. Does not mean we would not find more bugs, but it
would fit the frequent small service releases. As a non-committer, I don't
think I can help the process (other than testing)

thanks

Simon

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com>.
Thanks Claude, but yes, I am dealing with product development (see
jazz.net)

Simon

From:
Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>
To:
dev@jena.apache.org
Date:
09/14/2012 04:09 PM
Re: 2.7.4 release?

Simon,

When I worked at IBM I worked on the internal architecture review
board one of the questions we had to deal with was the licensing
question (i.e. what license was any open source licensed under).  The
upshot was that legal had to approve the license.  Some were already
approved and variations need to be verified by legal via a self
reporting process.  The net result is that if the license is approved
the software was approved for use on the IBM infrastructure.  If you
are producing a product there may be other issues.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Andy,
>
> I'll bring this back to our legal, but they told me that apparently,
when
> a project in Apache releases, Apache has done the appropriate internal
> legal review and makes certain guarantees. I do not know if that
"internal
> legal review" happens in practice, but for IBM that makes a big
> difference, probably in terms of liability. Perhaps you are trying to
say
> that each produced build, and by that, I mean the sources packaged in
that
> build (not some PGP-signed binaries), are implicitly "cleared". If that
is
> true, things would be easier for us.
>
> I'll follow-up on this
>
> Simon
>

> From:
> Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
> To:
> Simon Helsen/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
> Cc:
> dev@jena.apache.org
> Date:
> 09/13/2012 11:20 AM
> Re: 2.7.4 release?
>

>> I definitely agree that the concept of RC cycles is good in principle,
>> but I don't know if lightweight will do for us. As I explained before,
>> we can only get comprehensive testing done with versions of Jena which
>> can safely deliver in our main source control stream. Because we
publish
>> milestone builds publically (on jazz.net if you're interested), each
>> milestone needs legal approval for 3rd party libraries. I was told that
>> for Apache libraries we can only do this for releases because of
certain
>> IBM assumptions about Apache releases (don't ask me what, IBM just has
>> certain relation with Apache which makes this the way it is). And this
>> process fortunately does not take very long.
>>
>> In other words, if you introduce an RC, it would only help us if you
>> perform the same tasks as you do with a regular release, make it
>> available on the website like you do with a regular release, but just
>> use a different name to indicate that it may not be mature. It would be
>> a bit of a naming game, but it would take away the effect that you come
>> out with a possibly buggy release, yet you give your consumers a chance
>> to fully adopt and test the RC
>
> We use Continuous Integration - the nightly build runs all the tests
> every time.  We also use have a "green line" policy (we haven't
> discussed this per se but it is how things run) whereby trunk always
> works.  So, in that sense, every nightly build is a uniquely labelled
RC.

Identity: https://www.identify.nu/user.php?claude@xenei.com

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
Simon,

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com>.
Thanks Andy,

we are inquiring internally in our "open source approval" organization and
legal to get more clarification on this. Once I know more, I will get back
to you since it will affect whether we can use development builds for
integrated testing or not. The bottom line is that if I am not allowed to
deliver development snapshots to our source control, there will be a very
significant limitation on what kind of testing we can do.

Simon

From:
Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
To:
dev@jena.apache.org
Date:
09/14/2012 08:36 AM
Re: 2.7.4 release?

There is no "Apache" doing an internal legal review.  The project
conducts these and all contributions are public.

The release provides a point where the project is confirming the status
of the code as part of the vote.

For people downloading Jena that is significant.

For people, such as yourself, who follow the project in detail, then you
can see all new material being accepted as JIRA is the only route in
over and above the direct work of committers.  Everything is open and
you have complete visibility to the status of the codebase.  Every code
file is licensed in SVN as well as LICENSE and NOTICE files.

I'm not suggesting you base your own releases on development builds, but
for testing purposes, there is a good baseline.

Sections 8 of the license covers liability. Additional liability you may
wish to add is covered by section 9.

                 Andy

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com>.
Andy,

From:
Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
To:
Simon Helsen/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Cc:
dev@jena.apache.org
Date:

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com>.
Thanks Andy.

So the overall response times were only a bit faster as I mentioned (about
6%), but overall write activities were significantly faster as was to be
expected given the changes made there, in some cases 40%

So yes, I definitely understand that there are aspects which cannot
possibly ever be captured by junits. Many of the bugs we find come from
system tests where servers gets killed, run into OOMEs, get beaten with a
hammer and things like that. The other thing we do at some point during
our verification testing is run the server for a longer time with lots of
activity to monitor long-term stability. I have no results on that yet
(not even for 2.7.1) as they require product stability itself (keep in
mind that Jena is one small wheel here - even if works fine, lots of other
things often don't)

I definitely agree that the concept of RC cycles is good in principle, but
I don't know if lightweight will do for us. As I explained before, we can
only get comprehensive testing done with versions of Jena which I can
[...]

From:
Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
To:
dev@jena.apache.org
Date:
09/13/2012 07:27 AM
Re: 2.7.4 release?

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com>.
Thanks for the update Rob. Yes, I understand it is mostly a question for
one of the committers to have time to put it all together, assuming
nothing goes wrong and people agree that a service increment is a good
idea. There are a significant number of fixes in the transactional code as
Andy points out and we feel more comfortable with that than what we have
in 2.7.1 although they mostly affect TDB's ability to recover during a
crash. On the testing front, we just got one of our clients to run a
scalability test (meaning they run with a large starting repository and
fire up multiple users to perform read/write activities) and they have not
observed any regressions compared to 2.7.1 and a slight overall speed
improvement (something like 6%, not stellar, but most importantly not
slower)

Simon

From:
Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>
To:
"dev@jena.apache.org" <de...@jena.apache.org>
Date:
09/12/2012 02:19 PM
Re: 2.7.4 release?

Any release should take in the region of a week assuming everyone is happy
with the state of the code and people have been testing continuously.
There's no reason a release should take much longer than that unless any
serious issues crop up during the process

It's mainly a question of someone having the free time to shepherd the
process through because it is somewhat time consuming in parts

Rob

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com>.

From:
Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
To:
Simon Helsen/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Cc:
dev@jena.apache.org, Philippe P Mulet <ph...@fr.ibm.com>
Date:

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Simon,

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com>.
Thanks Andy

"

Right, I understand that, although I am not sure if an SDB release has to
be a prereq for a .4 service release

"It would be nice to release LARQ as a post-incubator."

I agree, but here as well, is that really a prereq for a service release?

"Things are busy."

no doubt

From:
Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
To:
dev@jena.apache.org, Philippe P Mulet <ph...@fr.ibm.com>
Date:
09/12/2012 05:06 AM

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 12/09/12 17:58, Rob Vesse wrote:> I plan to take a look at the Fuseki
as a WAR again at some point but am
 > fairly snowed under at the moment

You are not alone ...

> Also it's a non-trivial change which may also require some maven and
> svn shenanigans if we want to generate both a WAR and the existing
> runnable JAR packaging (possibly splitting the fuseki module into a
> fuseki-core and fuseki-war). Plus I have no idea if the provided
> patch is all that is needed or not.

I think we need to think this through before releasing anything because
a release is a commitment to the approach.

The patch puts fuseki-config.ttl in the webapp (in WEB-INF) but I'm
being in think that having the config and any TDB databases outside the
WAR is better long term.  The WAR file is then fixed (there is only one)
and the user does not have build or edit it.

More discussion on the JENA-201 thread.

	Andy

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.
I plan to take a look at the Fuseki as a WAR again at some point but am
fairly snowed under at the moment

Also it's a non-trivial change which may also require some maven and svn
shenanigans if we want to generate both a WAR and the existing runnable
JAR packaging (possibly splitting the fuseki module into a fuseki-core and
fuseki-war).  Plus I have no idea if the provided patch is all that is
needed or not.

I would rather not do this in a rush or for a point release, this should
be at least a minor if not major release for Fuseki when we make that
change.

Just because something has lots of votes and is a good idea doesn't mean
we should rush it!

Rob

Re: 2.7.4 release?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.