Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stephane Delort <St...@edag.de> on 2004/06/02 16:40:48 UTC

cforms, flowscripts and database

Hi,

I need to develop a webb app based on a PostgreSQL db.

Though, since I decided to work with Cforms, I need to get involved with
flowscripts.
(cforms for a future move to Lenya)
That's ok,
I also know (and tryed) db-actions (modular ones), SQLT, and XSP. (not in
this context)
Thus, how which is the BEST WAY to use db and flowscript ?

I took a look at the petstore sample and saw database.js.
that's a pretty thing but maybe not as strong as actions and so on.
I already saw that there was quite a long discussion around that
(cocoon-devel sthg around April 20th )

Knowing a little in OJB, I think it is too much complicated for the job I
need to fullfill.
I also notice that it is possible to use hybernate (another technology ...)
but I don't really want to learn this other thing.

In fact it appears that I am in front of the LAMP vs
LinuxCocoonXMLSitemapActionsPostgreSQLAndALotOfFunnyThings...  problem.

please , feel free to give me any helpfull advice (experience feedback
greatly appreciated)

Thanks in advance,
Stephane

Re: cforms, flowscripts and database

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
On Jun 2, 2004, at 7:40 AM, Stephane Delort wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to develop a webb app based on a PostgreSQL db.
>

> Though, since I decided to work with Cforms, I need to get involved
> with
> flowscripts.
> (cforms for a future move to Lenya)
> That's ok,
> I also know (and tryed) db-actions (modular ones), SQLT, and XSP. (not
> in
> this context)
> Thus, how which is the BEST WAY to use db and flowscript ?

The BEST way in general is:
	— business logic in Java
	— ...with object persistence via Hibernate, OJB or whatever
	— controller logic in flowscript

However, if you have legacy data in PostgresSQL, then the general
"best" way might not be the "best" way for you!  You would probably be
better off with a data access layer of simple Java classes using JDBC.

> I took a look at the petstore sample and saw database.js.

I haven't looked at that, so I can't comment on it.  Maybe that would
be a good way to go, all things considered.

Using flowscript as the implementation language for an application,
i.e. for application/business logic, is somewhat of an "abuse" :-).  I
think flowscript is primarily intended for controller/presentation
logic.  You get sort of a two-level controller layer, with little
controllers written in flowscript, and the sitemap as a kind of
"super-controller" or dispatch layer.  But flowscript was never meant
to be "the programming language of Cocoon applications".

> that's a pretty thing but maybe not as strong as actions and so on.
> I already saw that there was quite a long discussion around that
> (cocoon-devel sthg around April 20th )

Man, I need to get caught up on that list... it's been a while :-)

~ml

Re: cforms, flowscripts and database

Posted by Nick Van den Bleeken <Ni...@pandora.be>.
Hi,

I'm developing a webapp that also needed persistency. I decided to use
Hibernate (it is very easy to learn and use) in conjunction with CForms and
the woody data binding framework. Till  now I think it a good choice. Not
too much flow script, only a few lines for each form.
I hope this will help you.

Nick Van den Bleeken