Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lalit Seth <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/07 08:17:17 UTC

[users@httpd] APACHE Session ID issue.

Hi,

APACHE -
Server version: HP-UX_Apache-based_Web_Server/2.0.48
Server built:   Nov  5 2003 03:42:46

OS -
HP-UX B.11.11

Information about setup -
I have a machine with 5 NIC. All these have static IP Address. Each NIC has
an entry for it in DNS.
Hence each machine can be referred by 5 DNS names like...

Mac1.myhome.com
Mac2.myhome.com
Mac3.myhome.com
Mac4.myhome.com
Mac5.myhome.com

Apache here is configured with PHP support.

Issue -
Apache creates new session ID for each request for few of these DNS names.
ie When i display session ID from PHP the session id remain same for
Mac3.myhome.com but keeps changing for each click for others.
hence PHP tends to loose all its Session Variable info.

I am not sure where the problem is.
Is it something to do with APACHE configuration?
Why APACHE treats others names as if they are some remote machines and
create new session everytime request happens.

Any clue or help will be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Lalit Seth

Re: [users@httpd] APACHE Session ID issue.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/8/06, Lalit Seth <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> Thanks for Replying....
>
> yes, sessionId is internal to PHP.
> But sessionID remain same for Mac3 unless browser is closed.
> but changes for each click for other addresses.
>
> I have checked on other machines this works correclty for all. Also, there
> is no issue with PHP Setup and PHP Code. As the same code works for Mac3 but
> fails for other DNS name of same machine.
>
> Why does APACHE Web Server treats Mac1, Mac2, Mac4 and Mac5 as some other
> machines rather than treating them as same.

I really think you are coming at this from the wrong direction.  The
session ID is negotiated between PHP and the browser.  Apache httpd
has no participation in it other than sending along the Set-Cookie
header.  So you would really be better off in a php discussion forum.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] APACHE Session ID issue.

Posted by Lalit Seth <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for Replying....

yes, sessionId is internal to PHP.
But sessionID remain same for Mac3 unless browser is closed.
but changes for each click for other addresses.

I have checked on other machines this works correclty for all. Also, there
is no issue with PHP Setup and PHP Code. As the same code works for Mac3 but
fails for other DNS name of same machine.

Why does APACHE Web Server treats Mac1, Mac2, Mac4 and Mac5 as some other
machines rather than treating them as same.

Thanks
Lalit Seth

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.