Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/10 17:08:33 UTC

2.0

Hi,

Could you set a target date for 2.0 release. What's missing to make a
release?

Thanks

Re: 2.0

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
yes, because the interactive forms API in 2.0 changed :-) And the improvement is a hack for a specific case.

Maruan

Re: 2.0

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 14.10.2014 um 07:59 schrieb John Hewson:
> Hi Tilman
>
>> You labeled many a "fix version" which would mean they "must" be fixed for 2.0. One example: PDFBOX-2402 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-2402> is about a parser improvement related to some bad PDFs that is relevant to one user only (I will fix that one soon, I just need to create a test file, but we could as well live without it). Another example was a color problem I had opened (PDFBOX-2142) which is probably only relevant to rendering advertising flyers.
> Yep, this is the first time we’ve tried release management with JIRA, so the starting point is that all of the issues affecting 2.0 are now scheduled to be fixed in 2.0. Obviously that’s silly, but it forces us to now examine the issues we have and actively defer them to later versions, rather than forgetting about them, or loosing them in the hundreds of old 1.8 and earlier issues which don’t apply to 2.0.
>
> Andreas - can we get a 2.1 and 3.0 version in JIRA (for breaking / non-breaking), so that the deferring can begin? These would just be estimates of course, we can always re-defer something to 2.2, etc. The idea being that issues are now actively assigned to releases, so we’re doing release management with JIRA, as well as just bug tracking.

That is a good idea!

Tilman

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Hi Tilman

Re: 2.0

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Hi Simon

> How many of those actually are blockers, isn't 2.0 a massive improvement
> over 1.8 already. Seems most of those could be added to 2.1 or later. Making
> a beta release would allow for feedback on current code to fix major issues.

Hopefully not too many, the most important thing is breaking API changes, we’re
trying to make them in 2.0 and then we can stay stable afterwards. We’ve never
tried to use JIRA to schedule issues like this before, hopefully we can now defer
the less important issues to 2.1 or later on JIRA, as soon as we get a “2.1”
version set up there, and for the first time we’ll have a roadmap of what needs to
be done, and in which version it’s (estimated) to be released.

-- John

RE: 2.0

It's worth point out that there are still 131 issues without a Fix Version,
many of which could apply to 2.0

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20PDFBOX%20AND%20re
solution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20EMPTY%20ORDER%20BY%20
priority%20DESC

We could perhaps try to add Affected + Fix versions for these issues too,
until then the picture is still incomplete.

-- John

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20PDFBOX%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20EMPTY%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Hi All,

RE: 2.0

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi Tim,

first of all thanks for the offer, this is highly appreciated!

I already have a first fix for PDFBOX-2441, but there is another issue. I hope
to fix it soon.

I'm just curious, do you run that comparisons manually or do you plan to
implement some more or less automatic test which can be started without that
much effort?

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

RE: 2.0

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Hi Tilman,

RE: 2.0

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Maruan,
  Sounds good.  I'll add it to my todo list to write the wrapper...probably be good for me to start moving to 2.0 anyways. :)

first many thanks for the offer. I'd add that a comparison between 1.8 and 2.0 would be useful too to detect differences might it be because of enhancements or regressions.

BR
Maruan

Re: 2.0

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Tim,

Re: 2.0

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Hi Tim,

RE: 2.0

Re: 2.0

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Re: 2.0

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Am 15.10.2014 um 12:12 schrieb Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>:

>> Timo Boehme <ti...@ontochem.com> hat am 15. Oktober 2014 um 09:18
>> geschrieben:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> the difference between the parsers stems from the fact that the old
>> parser can cope with a completely broken xref table because it uses the
>> objects as it finds them on its sequential way. What we need (as I
>> proposed before) is a repair mechanism scanning the file for object
>> start/end to be used for re-creating the xref table.
>> I will see if I can find some time to do this.
> I already have a working prototype but I'm not yet happy with the
> implementation.
>
>> The only other stopper is as Andreas has pointed out the signing. I'm
>> not familiar with this and don't known what needs to be done here.
> Me neither.

If we keep the old parser side by side to the new one we can look at implementing incremental updates at a later stage correctly thus not only supporting signing but other important use cases too. Something we can do behind the scene.

>> Best,
>> Timo
>
> BR
> Andreas Lehmkühler
>
>> Am 14.10.2014 um 21:18 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
>>> Here are some:
>>>
>>> 055/055794.pdf
>>> 082/082463.pdf
>>> 108/108362.pdf
>>> 113/113223.pdf
>>> 115/115458.pdf
>>> 115/115463.pdf
>>> 122/122393.pdf
>>> 129/129416.pdf
>>> 133/133423.pdf
>>> 148/148020.pdf
>>> 152/152012.pdf

Re: 2.0

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.

> Timo Boehme <ti...@ontochem.com> hat am 15. Oktober 2014 um 09:18
> geschrieben:
>

> Hi,
>
> the difference between the parsers stems from the fact that the old
> parser can cope with a completely broken xref table because it uses the
> objects as it finds them on its sequential way. What we need (as I
> proposed before) is a repair mechanism scanning the file for object
> start/end to be used for re-creating the xref table.
> I will see if I can find some time to do this.
I already have a working prototype but I'm not yet happy with the
implementation.

> The only other stopper is as Andreas has pointed out the signing. I'm
> not familiar with this and don't known what needs to be done here.
Me neither.

> Best,
> Timo

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: 2.0

Posted by Timo Boehme <ti...@ontochem.com>.
Hi,

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
That’s very good news!

-- John

> On 23 Oct 2014, at 11:40, Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> This is now obsolete, thanks to Andreas having resolved PDFBOX-2250.
>
> Tilman
>
> Am 23.10.2014 um 09:33 schrieb John Hewson:
>> Do we have a JIRA issue for these, or shall I create one?
>>
>> -- John
>>
>> On 14 Oct 2014, at 09:18, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de <ma...@t-online.de>> wrote:
>>
>>> Here are some:
>>>
>>> 055/055794.pdf
>>> 082/082463.pdf
>>> 108/108362.pdf
>>> 113/113223.pdf
>>> 115/115458.pdf
>>> 115/115463.pdf
>>> 122/122393.pdf
>>> 129/129416.pdf
>>> 133/133423.pdf
>>> 148/148020.pdf
>>> 152/152012.pdf

Re: 2.0

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Here are some:

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 14.10.2014 um 19:39 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
> I prefer that the "old" parser not be removed, because there are many files that
> can only be parsed by the old parser. This came out in a large scale test with
> TIKA.
There is one additional reason to keep the old one, the signing stuff doesn't
work with the non-sequential parser.

BR
Andreas

Re: 2.0

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Timo Boehme <ti...@ontochem.com>.
Hi,

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Hi,

>> John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com> hat am 10. Oktober 2014 um 20:05 geschrieben:
>>

>> Simon,
>>
>> Andreas has the best handle on this, but off the top of my head what we need
>> is to finish
>> making breaking API changes and for the code to have been stable for a while
>> before
>> making a 2.0 release.
>>
>> Improvements and fixes which still need breaking API changes include:
>>        - Pattern rendering
> That's almost done, isn't it? Should be part of 2.0

Oh yes, it’s nearly there, when I get a decent chunk of spare time it will get done.

>>        - Pages resource caching (significant memory usage issues)
> IMHO could be postponed

The catch is that it will be a breaking API change, so it’d be better to get it into
2.0 while we can. Otherwise I’d agree.

>>        - Font embedding (particularly TTF)
> Is a real show stopper, should be part of 2.0

Yep. We’re getting there slowly, there’s lots of pieces which need to work together.

>>        - Parsing (Andreas?)
> I guess we won't get a complete new parser in 2.0, but I try to improve the XRef
> and the COSStream stuff

It would be great if we could get rid of the old parser and switch to the non-sequential
parser, WDYT?

>>        - Page Tree (needs completely re-writing)
> IMHO could be postponed

Once again the catch is that this will be a breaking API change in an important
place, so it’d be smart to do it in 2.0.

>>        - Text extraction on Java 8 (this might end up being a breaking change
>> to the sort)
> I've already commited PDFBOX-1512, so that it works on Java7. What is the issue
> with java8?

Same thing, so the Java 7 fix will fix this too.

>> There’s probably more, such as work on Acroforms, and we need to have much
>> better
>> example code for 2.0 due to all the changes.
> Yes, once PDFBOX-922 is implemented (embedding TTFs) we should be able to
> improve the creation of Appearance streams.

I feel like we could definitely postpone this one, it seems like we’d just be adding
APIs and not breaking anything, so it can wait?

Re: 2.0

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

> John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com> hat am 10. Oktober 2014 um 20:05 geschrieben:
>

> Simon,
>
> Andreas has the best handle on this, but off the top of my head what we need
> is to finish
> making breaking API changes and for the code to have been stable for a while
> before
> making a 2.0 release.
>
> Improvements and fixes which still need breaking API changes include:
>       - Pattern rendering
That's almost done, isn't it? Should be part of 2.0

>       - Pages resource caching (significant memory usage issues)
IMHO could be postponed

>       - Font embedding (particularly TTF)
Is a real show stopper, should be part of 2.0

>       - Parsing (Andreas?)
I guess we won't get a complete new parser in 2.0, but I try to improve the XRef
and the COSStream stuff

>       - Page Tree (needs completely re-writing)
IMHO could be postponed

>       - Text extraction on Java 8 (this might end up being a breaking change
>to the sort)
I've already commited PDFBOX-1512, so that it works on Java7. What is the issue
with java8?

> There’s probably more, such as work on Acroforms, and we need to have much
> better
> example code for 2.0 due to all the changes.
Yes, once PDFBOX-922 is implemented (embedding TTFs) we should be able to
improve the creation of Appearance streams.

> This seems like a good time to explicitly try to make sure that we have JIRA
> issues open
> for all outstanding tasks, so that we can track how close 2.0 is to being
> ready. The stability
> of the code is a pretty good indicator - we’re not there yet.
>
> I’m going to open some JIRA issues. Andreas, Tilman - please open issues for
> any
> 2.0 features which you think we need.
>
> Thanks
>
> -- John

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
On 14 Oct 2014, at 06:41, Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 14.10.2014 um 08:16 schrieb John Hewson:
>> Andreas,
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> What exaclty would be the difference between "Later" and "Unscheduled”?
>>
>> The use of a blank Fix Version to mean “unscheduled” is problematic as there’s
>> no way to tell a deliberately deferred issue from once which we forgot to schedule,
>> or from the hundreds of historic 1.8 and older issues we have, or from version-less
>> issues such as those related to the web site, so I was thinking that an explicit “Later
>> version would let us proactively and unambiguously defer issues.
>>
>> Thinking about it, “2.1” and “3.0” labels might be better, for breaking and non-breaking
>> changes, respectively. This way we’re using JIRA for release management as well as
>> bug tracking.
> Sounde more reasonable than the "Later" idea. I've added both versions

Thanks!

Re: 2.0

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Re: 2.0

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Andreas,

Re: 2.0

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 10.10.2014 um 20:10 schrieb John Hewson:
> Andreas - can we create a new “Later” version in JIRA so that we can assign
> issues that we’ve decided to defer until after 2.0? That way we can have a
> definitive list of what does and doesn’t need attention.
What exaclty would be the difference between "Later" and "Unscheduled"?

> -- John

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: 2.0