Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ActiveUser <cu...@hotmail.com> on 2010/02/20 20:03:20 UTC

AMQ hangs on FIN_WAIT

Hi,

We have run into cases in which some clients hang and we have restart the
AMQ broker.

I took a look at the 2 users of (2) (identified by their IP) and their
connection had a FIN_WAIT state on the netstat command, these 2 clients are
hanging

It seems there was a brief network outage and caused the 2 users to broke
connection with JMS Server causing the FIN_WAIT status on their connection.
This in turn somehow hold up the JMS Server from serving the other clients.

Is this a known problem? Any fix/workaround for this?

Re: AMQ hangs on FIN_WAIT

Posted by Pavel <pa...@gmail.com>.
Failover protocol does detect disconnect properly, even when it is single
host. I've seen that many times, and the only problematic case so far was
with prefetch=0, which is unlikely what you experience.

So for example,

tcp://localhost:61616 will not reconnect
failover:(tcp://localhost:61616) will

Give it a try; and I for one cannot imagine a good/valid reason not to use
failover transport.

Thanks,
Pavel

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM, ActiveUser <cu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Currently we are not but have considered that. Our messaging layer will
> also
> try reconnect.
>
> One of my concern is that the client does not detect disconnection
> properly.
> So I want to see if there is anything else to fix before we use fail-over.
> After all, one can only run one or two fail-over servers to be practical.
>

> bsnyder wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM, ActiveUser <cu...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We have run into cases in which some clients hang and we have restart
> the
> >> AMQ broker.
> >>
> >> I took a look at the 2 users of (2) (identified by their IP) and their
> >> connection had a FIN_WAIT state on the netstat command, these 2 clients
> >> are
> >> hanging
> >>
> >> It seems there was a brief network outage and caused the 2 users to
> broke
> >> connection with JMS Server causing the FIN_WAIT status on their
> >> connection.
> >> This in turn somehow hold up the JMS Server from serving the other
> >> clients.
> >>
> >> Is this a known problem? Any fix/workaround for this?
> >
> > Are you using the failover transport for your clients to connect to the
> > broker?
> >
> > http://activemq.apache.org/failover-transport-reference.html
> >
> > In the event of a disconnect, the failover transport will
> > automatically re-establish a connection for a client.
> >
> > Bruce
> > --
> > perl -e 'print
> > unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"