Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alan Fullmer <li...@xnote.com> on 2005/05/26 18:20:51 UTC

Message that conitinually gets bypassed

I have this message that continually gets by Spam Assassin.  The headers
have no indication that SA has even touched it.   I will post the headers
below, as well as the message.

I get various messages all of which have the basic same body content.  If I
forward this message to myself, it clearly tags it as spam the second time.

So I am wondering if spammers have found a way around SA?

I have SA running with Postfix on a linux machine, which then forwards the
filtered mail to an exchange server.

Thanks in advance.
Alan Fullmer
Alan at xnote dot com
www.xnote.com

Below is the message
Dear Homeowner,

You have been pre-approved for a $402,000 Home Loan at a 3.45% Fixed Rate.
This offer is being extended to you unconditionally and your credit is in no
way a factor.

To take Advantage of this Limited Time opportunity all we ask is that you
visit our Website and complete the 1 minute post Approval Form.

Enter Here
Sincerely,

Esteban Tanner
Regional CEO

BELOW ARE THE HEADERS
Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
From: "Chris" <bi...@moskit.uwm.edu.pl>
To: <ex...@accessdata.com>
Subject: Attention
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 04:27:39 -0600

------225126436318696341

------225126436318696341

------225126436318696341--

Re: Message that conitinually gets bypassed

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I have this message that continually gets by Spam Assassin.  The headers
> have no indication that SA has even touched it.   I will post the headers
> below, as well as the message.

Which version of SA?  How are you feeding it? Procmail?  Something else?

I don't see anything obvious at a real quick glance.  Maybe this message has
a really big attachment and goes over the 250K limit?

        Loren

Re[2]: Message that conitinually gets bypassed

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Alan,

Monday, June 6, 2005, 6:51:31 AM, you wrote:

AF> Here you go, attached are two.

AF> Keep in mind, if I were to forward this mail to myself, it would get
AF> flagged.   It just seems to be getting by when they send it.

In the copies you attached, there are no Received headers.

> From: "George" <xd...@morin.at>
> To: "Mark Stringer" <ms...@accessdata.com>
> Subject: Attention
> Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:06:14 -0600
>
> Dear Homeowner,

That strongly implies that the message somehow bypassed all email
systems, including yours any any others. It's as if the system which
created the spam dumped it directly onto your system, without going
through any email system.  Therefore SA didn't see it, because SA is
normally called by email systems to check the emails.

If you can figure out why this email reached you without any received
headers, then you're well on the way to solving this problem.

Bob Menschel

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:Robert@Menschel.net

Re: Message that conitinually gets bypassed

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Alan,