Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2008/01/20 18:50:16 UTC

[MyFaces 1.2.1] question on trunk and tag

Hi,

two questions.

1)
There is a 1.2.1 TAG:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/core/tags/1_2_1_RC/

that uses Trinidad's 1.2.6 plugins.
Why?
There was no release of that. Currently there is one on the vote (ends today)
so, to me it is not clear if the used maven-faces-plugin is *really*
this particular one.

2)
The trunk says 1.2.1-SNAPSHOT.
In case we use the above mentioned TAG, shouldn't it say 1.2.2-SNAPSHOT already?

Thanks!
Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: [MyFaces 1.2.1] question on trunk and tag

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Jan 20, 2008 9:50 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> two questions.
>
> 1)
> There is a 1.2.1 TAG:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/core/tags/1_2_1_RC/
>
> that uses Trinidad's 1.2.6 plugins.
> Why?
> There was no release of that. Currently there is one on the vote (ends today)
> so, to me it is not clear if the used maven-faces-plugin is *really*
> this particular one.

this problem is solved now.
The 1.2.6 plugins are mirrored world-wide

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Manfred,

Leonardo now deleted this TAG in question.
That means, trunk is still 1.2.1-SNAPSHOT :-)
For some reasons the 1.2.1 did some wrong things.

I think he is good to go with the *final* steps for 1.2.1 release.
After that TAG (done via maven-release-plugin) is availble, the
trunk needs to be changed to have 1.2.2-SNAP.

But as of now, the TAG is deleted; trunk is 1.2.1.
Looks like all errors are now resolved.

lessons learned ;-)

-Matthias

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I agree with Matthias and partly take back what I said in my former mail.

Normal release process is something like this:
1. copy current trunk to a branch(!)
2. make changes that are necesssary for the release but should not be
on the trunk on this branch (particularly changing snapshot
dependencies to non snapshot dependencies)
3. do the release:prepare thing on the branch
4. this automatically creates the release tag
5. now is the proper time to merge back the version increment(s) to the trunk

Question is, how the "1_2_1_RC" tag was actually created. The name
does not look like a maven release plugin auto created tag.

--Manfred

On Jan 20, 2008 11:41 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know why it is a TAG.
> TAG means (to me) something "more" serious/final.
> ....and... that all 1.2.1 related fixes go into that as well.
> New "features" not.
>
> That's why I asked, why is trunk still 1.2.1 (and not 1.22)
>
> -M
>

> On Jan 20, 2008 1:29 PM, Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 20, 2008 6:50 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 2)
> > > The trunk says 1.2.1-SNAPSHOT.
> > > In case we use the above mentioned TAG, shouldn't it say 1.2.2-SNAPSHOT already?
> >
> > No, I think 1.2.1-SNAPSHOT on trunk is ok as long as there is no release.
> >
> > The "1_2_1_RC" (normally) is a working copy branch(!) that is used to
> > prepare the release without disturbing concurrent development.
> > BTW, why is "1_2_1_RC" a tag? It should be a branch of course.
> >
> > Leaving the version on trunk unchanged gives the release manager the
> > chance to throw away this working copy branch and start over with a
> > new copy from the trunk.
> >
> > "textbook example":
> > As soon as the release is out, all important fixes and changes on this
> > branch (including the pom updates to "1.2.2-SNAPSHOT") will be merged
> > back to the trunk.
> >
> > --Manfred
> >

> --
> Matthias Wessendorf
>
> further stuff:
> mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

--
http://www.irian.at
Your JSF powerhouse - JSF Consulting,
Development and Courses in English and
German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: [MyFaces 1.2.1] question on trunk and tag

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.