Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/26 16:39:59 UTC

Why we name it zebra ?

Hi all,

I'd like to know where's the name zebra come from ? does it convey the
meaning of this meta data system that the columnar storage format is like
the lines on the zebra's skin.

Thank you

Jeff Zhang

Re: Why we name it zebra ?

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Nov 26, 2009, at 7:39 AM, Jeff Zhang wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know where's the name zebra come from ? does it convey the
> meaning of this meta data system that the columnar storage format is
> like
> the lines on the zebra's skin.

Pretty much, yes.  We've fallen into the habit of giving animal names
to projects.  We discussed several animals but zebra won.

Alan.

Re: Why we name it zebra ?

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.