Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by pr...@thomson.com on 2008/01/24 14:18:28 UTC

Running multiple tomcat instances with Tomcat 6.0.14

Hi,

I have a setup like this for running multiple instance of tomcat
installation

CATALINA_HOME is set to the tomcat installation dir
(D:/apache-tomcat-6.0.14)

CATALINA_BASE is set to the personal tomcat instance (D:/test/tomcat)

Under my personal tomcat dir(D:/test/tomcat), I have the following
dir/files

conf

      Catalina

                    localhost

                                    context.xml

      catalina.policy

      server.xml

      tomcat-users.xml

      web.xml

lib

logs

webapps

Contents of context.xml are as follows -

<Context path="" docBase="D:/test/LATEST/docs" debug="0"
privileged="true" allowLinking="true">

</Context>

In the "D:/test/LATEST/docs" directory, I have a "index.html" page and
"index.html" is part of the welcome-file-list in web.xml

The personal tomcat instance is configured to run on port 6060.

When user types in http://localhost:6060 <http://localhost:6060/>  I
expect to see the contents of index.html but I see a blank page - no
errors, nothing in the accesslog

The same setup works fine with tomcat 5.0.24 but not in tomcat 6.x

Is there some other configuration that needs to be done to get this
running on Tomcat 6.x?

Thanks,

Prasad

RE: Running multiple tomcat instances with Tomcat 6.0.14

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: prasad.gowda@thomson.com [mailto:prasad.gowda@thomson.com]
> Subject: Running multiple tomcat instances with Tomcat 6.0.14
>
> conf
>       Catalina
>                     localhost
>                                     context.xml
>
> Contents of context.xml are as follows -
> <Context path="" docBase="D:/test/LATEST/docs" debug="0"
> privileged="true" allowLinking="true">
> </Context>

The above is incorrect, on all Tomcat levels.  The fact that it happened
to do anything at all on older versions just demonstrates that bugs have
been fixed in the newer ones.

The <Context> element in conf/Catalina/localhost/context.xml is intended
to provide attributes shared by all webapps deployed under the related
<Host>, not the settings for an individual webapp.  If you want to
specify the location of the defautl webapp, remove the path attribute
(it's not allowed here), and change the name of that file to ROOT.xml
(case sensitive, even on Windows).  Since you're defining the default
webapp, delete any ROOT directory or ROOT.war file under the <Host>
appBase directory.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Running multiple tomcat instances with Tomcat 6.0.14

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
azharalibuttar wrote:

> Mark Thomas-23 wrote:
>> azharalibuttar wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing a very valuable information with the users of apache
>>> tomcat but there is also a very simple way to run multiple instances of
>>> apache tomcat 6 given in the post on under given blog;
>>>
>>> http://www.itoperationz.com/2009/07/multiple-instances-of-apache-tomcat-6-on-debain5-lenny/
>> That isn't great advice. There are much better ways to run multiple
>> instances that to just do multiple installations.
>>
>> Mark
>>
> Thanks for sharing your precious comments about my post. Is it possible for
> you to share some of your configuration Ideas to run multiple instances of
> Apache Tomcat without installing multiple apache tomcat?

As Chuck already pointed out elsewhere on this thread, this is described
in RUNNING.txt

Mark

Re: Running multiple tomcat instances with Tomcat 6.0.14

Posted by azharalibuttar <az...@itoperationz.com>.

Mark Thomas-23 wrote:

> azharalibuttar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing a very valuable information with the users of apache
>> tomcat but there is also a very simple way to run multiple instances of
>> apache tomcat 6 given in the post on under given blog;
>>
>> http://www.itoperationz.com/2009/07/multiple-instances-of-apache-tomcat-6-on-debain5-lenny/
>
> That isn't great advice. There are much better ways to run multiple
> instances that to just do multiple installations.
>
> Mark

Thanks for sharing your precious comments about my post. Is it possible for
you to share some of your configuration Ideas to run multiple instances of
Apache Tomcat without installing multiple apache tomcat?

Azhar

Re: Running multiple tomcat instances with Tomcat 6.0.14

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: azharalibuttar [mailto:azhar@itoperationz.com]
> Subject: Re: Running multiple tomcat instances with Tomcat 6.0.14
>
> Thanks for sharing a very valuable information with the users of apache
> tomcat but there is also a very simple way to run multiple instances of
> apache tomcat 6 given in the post on under given blog;
>
> http://www.itoperationz.com/2009/07/multiple-instances-of-apache-
> tomcat-6-on-debain5-lenny/

Instead of following the above rather brute-force advice from a 3rd party, you could always read the section on "Multiple Tomcat Instances" in the RUNNING.txt file that comes with every real Tomcat download.

 - Chuck

Re: Running multiple tomcat instances with Tomcat 6.0.14

Posted by azharalibuttar <az...@itoperationz.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for sharing a very valuable information with the users of apache
tomcat but there is also a very simple way to run multiple instances of
apache tomcat 6 given in the post on under given blog;

http://www.itoperationz.com/2009/07/multiple-instances-of-apache-tomcat-6-on-debain5-lenny/

Regards,

Azhar Ali