Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Shu Yan Chan (UK)" <sh...@eu.citrix.com> on 2000/08/16 16:51:11 UTC

obtaining IP address, etc of caller

I am running Tomcat3.1 with IIS on NT and Apache on Linux.
I am trying to write servlets which could obtain information of the caller:
e.g. The IP address of the caller, its user name, and is it authenicated.
I tried the getAuthType() and getRemoteUser() method but both return null...
I set up IIS to ask for plaintext authenication (using the windows domain
account info) for the web page which has a link to the servlet, and the
servlet class file itself.  But I guess since IIS redirect /servlet/* to
Tomcat, so I guess it wouldn't work...
I would like to knwo is it possible and how for tomcat to authenticate
request, by: client certificate or, http authenication using either user
name/password or challenge/response?  Is there any documentation I could
look up?
Thanks.
Yours,
Shu Yan