Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net> on 2004/04/20 21:41:40 UTC

Release this week

Geronimo is hackable now, so I think we should do a binary (alpha)
release.  I still need to get the OpenEJB deployer and jars into the
Geronimo assembly but that should not take that long.  Does anyone else
have something they need to get in before we do a release?

Assuming there aren't any big hang-ups, does anyone know how we publish
the binary once it is assembled and voted on?

After we get the first release out, I would like to start publishing
daily builds so we can quickly get out fixes as people find problems.

-dain

/*************************
  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network
  *************************/

Re: Release this week

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> After we get the first release out, I would like to start publishing
> daily builds so we can quickly get out fixes as people find problems.

I'm definitelly up for releasing the alpha version. Although I'm busy
with BEA WLS, I can't wait till the time Geronimo hits the shelves!

Big +1

> -dain

Jacek

Re: Release this week

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@coredevelopers.net>.
+1 on release
+1 on nightly builds

Re: Release this week

Posted by "Brendan W.McAdams" <bm...@sluggy.com>.
+1 on release
+1 nightly builds

Re: Release this week

Posted by ja...@mac.com.
On 21 Apr 2004, at 12:16, David Blevins wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:35:16AM +0100, jastrachan@mac.com wrote:
>> On 21 Apr 2004, at 03:47, David Blevins wrote:
>>> Maybe at some point later, I can find an easy way to use the cvs
>>> commit messages as the release notes.
>>
>> Maybe we should install JIRA?
>>
>> I've found on other projects that as issues come up, bugs are found or
>> things need to be fixed, you enter an issue into JIRA using it as
>> todo-list and bug tracker - then it generates auto-release notes for
>> you...
>>
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?
>> id=10242&report=changelog
>
> That's really cool.  Do you know if that report can be exported as xml?

Yes it can. I seem to remember someone styling it into a report.

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
view=rss&pid=10242&fixfor=10243&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/
order=DESC&tempMax=25&reset=true

there are various reports - e.g. excel / bulk view etc.

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
reset=true&pid=10242&fixfor=10243

>> plus then you get a road map to see what needs to be fixed before the
>> next release...
>>
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?
>> id=10242&report=roadmap
>>
>> and you can tie in the issue ID to the CVS commit too if you want
>>

> We were doing exactly this on OpenEJB for some time.
>
> Alan Cabrera wrote a few stylesheets to generate release notes, change
> log, and a release download page from an xml file.  I got sick of
> creating the xml file by hand, so I wrote a program to screen-scrape
> our sf.net trackers and spit out the required xml.
>
> That's how this page was created:
>
>  http://www.openejb.org/download.html
>
> Once we got that all setup, we became very strict about using the
> trackers and putting the item ID in cvs commit messages (mostly to
> make sure people where using the tracker).
>
> At some point later I also wrote a stylesheet to take the same xml
> file and spit out a list of items that were scheduled for the next
> release grouped by "open" and "closed" status.
>
> Eventually sf.net changed their html enough to kill my screen-scraping
> and it all broke.  It was really really nice while it lasted though.

I know the feeling. I'm now hooked on JIRA.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Release this week

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:35:16AM +0100, jastrachan@mac.com wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2004, at 03:47, David Blevins wrote:
> >Maybe at some point later, I can find an easy way to use the cvs
> >commit messages as the release notes.
>
> Maybe we should install JIRA?
>
> I've found on other projects that as issues come up, bugs are found or
> things need to be fixed, you enter an issue into JIRA using it as
> todo-list and bug tracker - then it generates auto-release notes for
> you...
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?
> id=10242&report=changelog

That's really cool.  Do you know if that report can be exported as xml?

> plus then you get a road map to see what needs to be fixed before the
> next release...
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?
> id=10242&report=roadmap
>
> and you can tie in the issue ID to the CVS commit too if you want

We were doing exactly this on OpenEJB for some time.

Alan Cabrera wrote a few stylesheets to generate release notes, change
log, and a release download page from an xml file.  I got sick of
creating the xml file by hand, so I wrote a program to screen-scrape
our sf.net trackers and spit out the required xml.

That's how this page was created:

 http://www.openejb.org/download.html

Once we got that all setup, we became very strict about using the
trackers and putting the item ID in cvs commit messages (mostly to
make sure people where using the tracker).

At some point later I also wrote a stylesheet to take the same xml
file and spit out a list of items that were scheduled for the next
release grouped by "open" and "closed" status.

Eventually sf.net changed their html enough to kill my screen-scraping
and it all broke.  It was really really nice while it lasted though.

-David

> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Install JIRA?

Posted by ja...@mac.com.
On 21 Apr 2004, at 15:48, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> James Strachan wrote:
>> Maybe we should install JIRA?
>
> Huh?  What do you mean "install JIRA?"

DOH! :)

s/install/use

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Install JIRA?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
James Strachan wrote:
> Maybe we should install JIRA?

Huh?  What do you mean "install JIRA?"

Did you forget about http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO?

	--- Noel

Re: Release this week

Posted by ja...@mac.com.
On 21 Apr 2004, at 03:47, David Blevins wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:41:40PM -0500, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> Geronimo is hackable now, so I think we should do a binary (alpha)
>> release.  I still need to get the OpenEJB deployer and jars into the
>> Geronimo assembly but that should not take that long.  Does anyone
>> else
>> have something they need to get in before we do a release?
> I can think of plenty of things, but that's what makes your idea of
> publishing daily builds such a good one :)
>
> I'm already doing nightly build/tests on minotaur and nagoya.  It
> should be fairly easy to timestamp each build and publish it *if* the
> tests pass.

+1 on a release and on daily snapshots.

Re: Release this week

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: Release this week

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
+1 +1
On Apr 21, 2004, at 10:35 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> +1 on release
> +1 nightly builds

geir@4quarters.com

geir@4quarters.com