Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by sun davy <aw...@hotmail.com> on 2006/09/11 12:51:43 UTC

i encounter some mistakes in User Guide.

hi Velocity team:
  I am an user of Velocity from China. Thanks for your perfect production.
Through your creative and hard work, we have such Convenience and Powerful
tools in our toolbox.
  but i have encounter some mistakes in the Velocity User Guide which in
velocity-1.4\docs directory.
1) in Escaping VTL Directives section.
       \\#if( $jazz )
          Vyacheslav Ganelin
       \\#end

       In this case, if $jazz is true, the output is

       \ Vyacheslav Ganelin
       \

     after i run this code fragment,the output is :
       \ Vyacheslav Ganelin \
     i think it's reasonable,because there is no "<br>" tag,so the
browser(my is IE 6.0) doesn't output the backslash in a new line.

2) Advanced Issues: Escaping and !
      #set( $foo = "bar" )
      $\!foo
      $\!{foo}
      $\\!foo
      $\\\!foo

    This renders as:
      $!foo
      $!{foo}
      $\!foo
      $\\!foo

   My output is:
      $!foo
      $!{
      $\!foo
      $\\!foo
   i was confused.
   Contrast this with regular escaping, where \ precedes $:
      \$foo
      \$!foo
      \$!{foo}
      \\$!{foo}
  This renders as:
      \$foo
      \$!foo
      \$!{foo}
      \bar

  My output is:
      $foo
      $!foo
      $!{foo}
      \bar

  it seems like clerical error.

3) Velocimacro Trivia
   Currently, Velocimacros must be defined before they are first used in a
template. This means that your #macro() declarations should come before
using the Velocimacros.

   i defined VM after they are first used in a template, it also work. i
don't know why.

  hope your reply.

      best regards

                      sun wei

Re: i encounter some mistakes in User Guide.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hi Sun,

Thanks for catching this.  Coincidentally someone just reported the
first mistake the other day.  We'll work on fixing these.

WILL

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com