Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/05 17:41:45 UTC

Improving Component Reference

I've extended the component reference to allow images as part of the
documentation ... so far, its all screen shots.

http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/tapestry-core/ref/index.html

Feedback still encouraged!

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Improving Component Reference

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
Great Job!

Re: Improving Component Reference

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 6, 2008 8:10 AM, Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2 comments:
> - How is the 'introductory text' for each component derived? I'm
> asking cause it looks like it
> doesn't have any formatting in it... see for instance
> http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/tapestry-core/ref/org/apache/tapestry/corelib/components/Palette.html
> it's very difficult to read :(

Yep, extracting that stuff is a bit tricky and I punted for the
meantime.  There's always the JavaDoc link.  Its one of those tricky
issues with ugly HTML (unbalanced tags, etc) vs. XML and a difficult
environment (i.e., running stuff inside Maven is a pain).

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.
+1

2008/2/6, Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com>:

> 2 comments:
> - How is the 'introductory text' for each component derived? I'm
> asking cause it looks like it
> doesn't have any formatting in it... see for instance
>
> http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/tapestry-core/ref/org/apache/tapestry/corelib/components/Palette.html
> it's very difficult to read :(
> - In the master page (that lists all components, mixins, e.t.c.) how
> about grouping each type by package?
> So, you'd have:
> /org.apache.tapestry.corelib.components
>     * ActionLink
>     * BeanDisplay
>     * BeanEditForm
>     * BeanEditor
>     * Checkbox
>     * DateField
>     * Delegate
>

> On Feb 6, 2008 5:51 PM, Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Looks very, very good.
> >

> > On Feb 5, 2008 5:41 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've extended the component reference to allow images as part of the
> > > documentation ... so far, its all screen shots.
> > >

> http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/tapestry-core/ref/index.html
> > >
> > > Feedback still encouraged!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > >
> > > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

> > --
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Igor Drobiazko
> >

> --
> Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
> Tapestry / Tacos developer
> Open Source / JEE Consulting

with regards
Sven Homburg

Re: Improving Component Reference

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com>.
2 comments:

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Looks very, very good.

On Feb 5, 2008 5:41 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've extended the component reference to allow images as part of the
> documentation ... so far, its all screen shots.
>
> http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/tapestry-core/ref/index.html
>
> Feedback still encouraged!
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko

Re: Improving Component Reference

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Partly generated right off the JavaDoc, partly generated by hand.

The xdoc files contain the examples and notes and are merged into the
file generated from the JavaDoc.

For most of the examples, I have a side project that I used to write
and test the code and from which I generated the screenshots.

It would be cool to build a tool more like the pragmatic programmers,
where samples are extracted live from real code (using marker
comments).

Posted by Michael Lake <ml...@netvue.com>.
The docs look great!

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.
Fully agree. Thumbs up!

-Filip

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
It's a bit tied to Maven right now, and the code is quick-and-dirty,
not my usual standard, not created for easy reuse in Ant. The
underlying xdoc format, aka Doxia, can be used independently, and a
XSLT transformation could take the place of a lot of the Maven
site-building infrastructure.

I still have more changes to make; I need to see if I can split it up
into a kind of Maven-oriented driver and a more independent chunk of
code that could be invoked via an Ant task.

Posted by Davor Hrg <hr...@gmail.com>.
Yes,
I saw the issue :) few days ago ...

ok....
The grid docs should mention following caveat:

If you have a datasource that is filtered and the size changes
with some user action like submitting a search form...
having pager set to a some page can brake the grid
if number of rows gets smaller and the page does not exist an more.

for this reason it is recommendable to set pager to page:1 after
search form gets submitted (search criteria changes)
this can be achieved by calling         grid.setCurrentPage(1);

.... while I'm still talking about the grid, there is a neat (for me
at least :D )
GridDataSource I've made for Hibernate in my apps.

it uses Criteria for filtering, and gets sorting criteria from the grid,
it loads only the results that will be shown,
it caches result from the count query so instance is not reusable (but
can be made so)

I'm putting it on wiki, but belive it could be usefull in tapestry-hibernate
and could be mentioned in Grid's docs.
There is already one similar in the wiki, but uses HQL... (I like
Criteria API more)

SOURCE:

import java.util.List;

import org.apache.tapestry.ComponentResources;
import org.apache.tapestry.beaneditor.PropertyModel;
import org.apache.tapestry.grid.GridDataSource;
import org.hibernate.Criteria;
import org.hibernate.Session;
import org.hibernate.criterion.Criterion;
import org.hibernate.criterion.Order;
import org.hibernate.criterion.Projections;
import org.hibernate.criterion.Restrictions;

/** Grid data source that queries hiberante. It caches count and
results, and is not suitable for reuse.*/
public class  HibernateEntityDataSource<T> implements GridDataSource {

    private final Class<T> persistentClass;
    private final Session _session;
    private final Criteria criteria;

    /** cached data */
    protected List<T> data;
    /** count value cached on first call to {@link #getAvailableRows()}*/
    protected int count=-1;
    /** we will select only part of the table so later when asked for
a row, we use this to offset the index*/
    protected int startIndex=0;
    private ComponentResources _resources;

    /** A datasource for grid. Provide {@link ComponentResources} and
"sortColumn" event will be triggered
     * from the {@link #prepare(int, int, PropertyModel, boolean)} method.*/
    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    public HibernateEntityDataSource(Session session, Class<T> type,
ComponentResources resources){
        super();
        _session = session;
        persistentClass = type;
        _resources = resources;
        criteria = _session.createCriteria(persistentClass);
    }

    public static final <T> HibernateEntityDataSource<T>
create(Session session,Class<T> type, ComponentResources resources){
        return new HibernateEntityDataSource<T>(session,type, resources);
    }

    /** this value is cached on first access so do not add filters
after it is called*/
    public int getAvailableRows() {
        if(count == -1){
            criteria.setProjection(Projections.rowCount());
            count =((Integer)criteria.list().get(0)).intValue();
            criteria.setProjection(null);
            criteria.setResultTransformer(Criteria.ROOT_ENTITY);
        }
        return count;
    }

    public Class<T> getRowType() {
        return persistentClass;
    }
    /** Add a creterion to filter results. for example: {@link
Restrictions#eq(String, Object)}*/
    public void addCriterion(Criterion criterion){
        criteria.add(criterion);
    }

    /** The index must be between startIndex and endIndex provided in
{@link #prepare(int, int, PropertyModel, boolean)} implemented from
{@link GridDataSource#prepare(int, int, PropertyModel, boolean)}*/
    public Object getRowValue(int index) {
        return data.get(index-startIndex);
    }

    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    public void prepare(int startIndex, int endIndex, PropertyModel
sortModel, boolean ascending) {
        //query is much faster if we take only results we need. it can
be up to 10x faster even for a small table with 1000 records
        criteria.setFirstResult(startIndex);
        criteria.setMaxResults(endIndex-startIndex+1);
        this.startIndex = startIndex;

        String sortColumnName = null;
        if(sortModel != null){
            sortColumnName = sortModel.getPropertyName();
            Order order = ascending ? Order.asc(sortColumnName) :
Order.desc(sortColumnName);
            criteria.addOrder(order);
        }
        if(_resources != null) _resources.triggerEvent("sortColumn",
new Object[]{criteria,sortColumnName, ascending,
persistentClass},null);

        data = criteria.list();
    }
}