Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> on 2008/03/14 18:47:54 UTC

Releasing Python GIL

How hard would it to be to have the Python SWIG bindings release Python's GIL on
all functions?  Could this be done in one place in a .i file, or would each
method need it?

I'm writing a multithreaded server that's currently in Python and don't want to
block when it descends into svn's C code.  The networking part is already in C++
and handles connection setup, marshalling, etc, but just gets the GIL when it
calls into Python code.  This is all with Ice.  I'll handle locking wiuth

Blair

Re: Releasing Python GIL

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> Blair Zajac wrote:
>> How hard would it to be to have the Python SWIG bindings release
>> Python's GIL on all functions?
>
> We already do.

Ah great, I should have looker harder.  I just checked the *.i files for a
PyEval_SaveThread call, but that's down in swigutil_py.c.

Thanks,
Blair

Re: Releasing Python GIL

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Blair Zajac wrote:
> How hard would it to be to have the Python SWIG bindings release
> Python's GIL on all functions?

We already do.

Max.