Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/03/25 22:45:04 UTC

[mp2] should we use mod_perl2.so instead of mod_perl.so?

Even though there is no ambiguety between mp1's shared lib: libperl.so and
mp2's mod_perl.so, i think we should use mod_perl2.so, since eventually we
will have mp3 and also it's possible that there will be mp2.2 incompatible
with mp2. Thoughts?

Re: [mp2] should we use mod_perl2.so instead of mod_perl.so?

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>.
On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 15:04 -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 13:45 -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> >
> >>Even though there is no ambiguety between mp1's shared lib: libperl.so and
> >>mp2's mod_perl.so, i think we should use mod_perl2.so, since eventually we
> >>will have mp3 and also it's possible that there will be mp2.2 incompatible
> >>with mp2. Thoughts?
> >

> > I think it's an excellent idea. +1
> >
> > And we could possibly think of maintaining a sort of mod_perl.so ->
> > mod_perl2.so symlink in the installation process (a-la ld.so)
>
> Why symlink, just use mod_perl2.so as is. we don't include version numbers
> besides the major number, so it's not quite ala ld.so.
>
> We should do what mod_php does, since they have versioning for a long time
> already. I think they just use mod_php4.so, no? I don't have it installed.

Yes, mod_php just uses major version numbers, and unless I am mistaking,
you could _even_ have mod_php3 and mod_php4 loaded in your webserver at
the same time ;-)

Re: [mp2] should we use mod_perl2.so instead of mod_perl.so?

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>.
On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 15:19 -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Issac Goldstand wrote:
> > I was gonna mention php - I don't remember exactly how they do, but it IS
> > labelled php4.so (I think libphp4.so)
>
> It definitely won't be libperl4.so. We had this fun with mp1 already. So it'll
> be mod_perl2.so and you'd say:
>
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl2.so
>
> Does that sound right?

Absolutely right!

> We will have to fix Apache-Test, though to deal with mod_perl.c =>
> mod_perl2.so. Or may be we should just rename the c files to be mod_perl2.[ch]?

I'd rather see Apache-Test be smart enough to figure it out to changing
file names.

> Obviously this change will break any CPAN mp2 XS modules, but there aren't
> many, and mostly written by us, so it's probably OK.

Yes, probably, and with the possible suggestion of also installing a
mod_perl.so -> mod_perl2.so symlink, not even an issue at all.

Re: [mp2] should we use mod_perl2.so instead of mod_perl.so?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Issac Goldstand wrote:
> Should probably try to make it mod_perl2.c too, then - the whole point of
> php using the major version number in the .so file is that you can load
> multiple versions into the same server.  While it's true that that's not
> applicable for mp1/mp2, if it's compiled as mod_perl.c, I'm not sure if
> Apache will ever let 2 different versions of the module into the server.
> This is either desirable  or not.  If it is, I believe we need to change the
> .c reference too.  If not, there's no reason to do mod_perl2.so

Good point, Issac. We shouldn't change something just because we can.

So I withdraw my proposal, unless you can see another compelling reason I
haven't thought of.

p.s. that reason would be for example distro's installing mod_perl.so into a
global area like /usr/lib. But in this case they will need to do the same for
mod_include, mod_proxy and all other Apache2 modules...

Re: [mp2] should we use mod_perl2.so instead of mod_perl.so?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Issac Goldstand wrote:
>>
>>>I was gonna mention php - I don't remember exactly how they do, but
>>>it IS labelled php4.so (I think libphp4.so)
>>
>>It definitely won't be libperl4.so. We had this fun with mp1
>>already. So it'll be mod_perl2.so and you'd say:
>>
>>LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl2.so
>>
>>Does that sound right?
>

> I think so, but when you install over a prior version that had
>
>   LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
>
> what should the install process do?  Conceivably it could
>
>   1) comment this line out, and leave the modules/mod_perl.so file
>      intact, or
>
>   2) s/mod_perl/mod_perl2/ on this line, and remove the old
>      modules/mod_perl.so file, or
>
>   3) leave conf/httpd.conf alone (assuming that's what it does now),
>      and add a documentation note explaining that users with prior
>      mp2 installs will need to adjust their LoadModule directive.
>
> I've been thinking about renaming apreq2's to mod_apreq2.so, so
> apreq2 will also need to DTRT here.  FWIW, I'm leaning towards
> (2) in apreq2's case, but for mp2 I think (1) or (3) might be
> a better choice.

As Issaac wisely pointed out, we have absolutely no technical reason to
s/mod_perl.so/mod_perl2.so/, because we install it along with other Apache2
modules in $apache_root/modules which have no '2' extension. mod_apreq.so
seems to be in exactly the same boat.

To remind, mod_php has the numerical signifier, because it's possible to load
any and several of them for the same server, and that signifier doesn't
correspond to Apache generation but libphp library.

So as we probably not going to do the rename, the issues that you have
mentioned are moot, Joe ;)

Re: [mp2] should we use mod_perl2.so instead of mod_perl.so?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: [mp2] should we use mod_perl2.so instead of mod_perl.so?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>.