Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by thomas avondo <th...@yahoo.it> on 2002/07/22 00:07:08 UTC

freeBSD: cannot find -llibxerces-c.so

hey to all,
I build succesfuly the nightly xerces-c-src_2002.07.14
on freeBSD 4.3 using gmake and g++.
i'm trying to run my XML test application and i got
this little trouble:
whith gmake i manage to build my test only linking the
libxerces-c.so.20.0 directly (whithout -L -l options),
but when i execute the test it fails because:
Shared object "libxerces-c.so.20" not found.
some workaround?
there is some LIB environment variable i forgot?
regards
thomas

Re: freeBSD: cannot find -llibxerces-c.so

Posted by Max Gotlib <ma...@cca.usart.ru>.
Hi!

As far as I understood, you did not manage to run 'make install' and leaved
the library (and all the staff) just in the directory, where it was built. The
compilation of your test application passed successfully (you explicitly
pointed the include and library directories). But at run-time ld.so was unable
to find dynamic library (it searched the "well-known" places, like /usr/lib,
/usr/X11R6/lib and so on).

It seems, that you have choice:
1. copy (or link) the library file to the "well-known" directory (i.e.
/usr/local/lib);
2. change the dynamic linker config (add the ${XERCESCROOT}/lib
directory to the /etc/rc.conf 'ldconfig_paths')
3. change building instructions for your test application to recode lookup-path
for dynamic libraries into the binary image (i.e. change linkage stage to
something like:

test-binary:	$(TEST_OBJS) ...
	$(CC) ... -o test-binary -Wl,-rpath=/path/to/the/library ...

--
Max.