Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2021/06/25 14:20:12 UTC

Python 3.9 support in main

Hello everyone,

We've just merged an official Python 3.9 support to the "main" branch
- which means that it will be released in 3.9. There might be some
aftermath of it (we will observe and fix) but if everything goes well,
Python 3.9 will be supported as of Airflow 2.2 officially.

The next wave of providers (July release) will already be
3.9-compliant. Note that not all providers will support 3.9 -
specifically "apache.hive" will not have Python 3.9 support until this
issue get resolved: https://github.com/dropbox/PyHive/issues/380

We've implemented a solution that allows us to install providers and
run tests selectively  - which also means that 3.10 support should
come much faster when Python 3.10 gets officially released.

Big thanks to @r-richmond (I know only the Github handle) for
relentlessly pushing us in this direction and helping with the initial
PRs.

J.

--
+48 660 796 129