Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Percy Mistry <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2013/11/20 00:21:39 UTC

How do organisations use Hadoop and associated technologies ?

Hi,
I am new to Hadoop and would like to understand how exactly are Hadoop and its associated technologies (like Cassandra, Hive, Pig,etc..) used to achieve a business goal ? So lets say an organization has Hadoop and Cassandra or MongoDB and everything up and running. Then what ? What do you do with it and How ? What are the typical business applications that run against it ? Do you have to write something in Java/Python/PHP to get anything you want out of it ?

Like for example if the Oracle Rdbms was the new thing today then the answer to this question would be - it can be used to develop OLTP or Data Warehouse or Analytical applications using Java/php and PL/SQL, or using Informatica, Cognos and such tools to move and analyze data. I guess I am looking for just real world day-to-day use cases of the Hadoop ecosystem.

Would appreciate if anyone can put this into context and perspective for me.
Thanks!
-Percy.

Re: How do organisations use Hadoop and associated technologies ?

Posted by Percy Mistry <pe...@yahoo.com>.

Re: How do organisations use Hadoop and associated technologies ?

Posted by Percy Mistry <pe...@yahoo.com>.

Re: How do organisations use Hadoop and associated technologies ?

Posted by Percy Mistry <pe...@yahoo.com>.

Re: How do organisations use Hadoop and associated technologies ?

Posted by Percy Mistry <pe...@yahoo.com>.

Re: How do organisations use Hadoop and associated technologies ?

Posted by "Martin, Nick" <Ni...@pssd.com>.
Hi Percy,

Just my $.02 but there are quite a lot of case studies out there from the major distributions and tech journalists. Maybe start there.

I think a search for Hadoop use cases or (sorry) Big Data use cases would turn up some useful examples about how organizations are using some of the products you mention.

I know in my shop we cook up new use cases almost weekly :)

Happy reading!

Sent from my iPhone