Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Chang Zhou <cz...@uhc.com> on 2002/02/14 17:55:45 UTC

IP address of a DNS server in JAMES.conf.xml

Hi Everybody,

I do not have much UNIX or networking knowledge. I setup the binary version on my NT machine. I am able to send email
through James to anywhere, and receive email only from my local machine, I guess I do not have DNS setup.

So, how do I set the DNS up for James? If I want my James to be able to receive email from outside of the firewall, what do
I need to do? Documents somewhere?

Thanks a lot.

ChangQing

RE: IP address of a DNS server in JAMES.conf.xml

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
ChangQing,

As I've recently set up a production James server behind a firewall I can
tell you this much,

You need to have a domain name, and a host name and an MX record set up
somewhere public, so that server attempting to send mail to you knows where
to send it :-)

Most domain registration companies nowadays offer you the opportunity to set
up records yourself, you'll need an "A" record which points to your
firewall's IP address, and an "MX" record that points to the name in the "A"
record. (you cant put IP addresses in "MX" records)

Then you need to open a tunnel in your firewall to send all traffic on port
25 received for the IP address set in the "A" record to port 25 on the
internal IP address of the machine hosting James, and voia la, email will
stream in from spammers around the globe ;-)

You will also be able to skip the DNS steps and use the IP address of the
firewall in email addresses like this: myname@[123.456.234.451]

Remember to set up hostnames in James config.xml that match the FQ domains
of email addresses you want to recieve.

d.