Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Wadsworth, Eric (Contractor)" <wa...@fhu.disa.mil> on 2004/03/08 13:20:52 UTC

RE: Space wasting

> Why doesn't SVN use a single folder? Why does it need 9 subfolders?
> Also, is the README.txt file or the empty-file really needed?

To take it a step further, why not a single compressed file, something like
".system.svn" that won't give grief to Windows .NET projects, will consume
less disk space, and yes will stay hidden in *NIX boxen.

--- Eric

Re: Space wasting

Posted by Christophe Labouisse <ga...@tigris.org>.
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:54:40 +0100
"C.A.T.Magic" <c....@gmx.at> wrote:

> but it is ofcourse true that it would for example be possible to use a
> DB (e.g. BerkleyDB) to manage all the -local- .svn contents, too.
> But I bet using a DB would consume -even-more- disk space.

There is also another problem with centralizing the local .svn contents
(in BDB or something else). The current system (metadata stored with the
data) allows to delete or move working hierarchies without losing space
of remote repository information. Having a central repository for the
.svn data means implement a nifty mechanism to delete metadata when the
data is gone or to sync metadata with moved data. Not impossible but add
a great deal of (useless) complexity to the client part.

--
Le cinéma en Lumière : http://www.lumiere.org/

Re: Space wasting

Posted by "C.A.T.Magic" <c....@gmx.at>.
> > Why doesn't SVN use a single folder? Why does it need 9 subfolders?
> > Also, is the README.txt file or the empty-file really needed?
>
> To take it a step further, why not a single compressed file, something
like
> ".system.svn" that won't give grief to Windows .NET projects, will consume
> less disk space, and yes will stay hidden in *NIX boxen.
>
> --- Eric

I think if the filesystem wastes a lot of memory for small files thats a
problem
of the filesystem, not a problem of svn. If you don't like the space wasted,
for example just enable filesystem compression on NTFS.

I like it to have the files in the .svn folder to be human-readable.
If the .svn folder used some "proprietary compressed structure",
it would be very hard for shellscripts and custom applications
to access it's contents.

I Also prefer access speed over disk space - and compressed data
will impact speed a lot more than the increase in files does.

also note that the files in .svn are modified often and vary in size,
which leads to problems like fragmentation when using a single file.
the filesystem already contains well known mechanisms to prevent
such fragmentation. its not up to svn to reinvent that wheel :-)

but it is ofcourse true that it would for example be possible to use a
DB (e.g. BerkleyDB) to manage all the -local- .svn contents, too.
But I bet using a DB would consume -even-more- disk space.

another simpler --option could be to allow deletion of the duplicated WC
files from the .svn folder. if svn absolutely needs to access them it could
redownload the files from the repository on demand - like CVS does.
ofcourse that additional download will cost you a lot of time. I wouldn't
want to enable that 'feature'.

just my EUR 0.2 ;-)
:-)
====
c.a.t.

RE: Space wasting

Posted by Stuart Robertson <do...@absolutesys.com>.
For my 2c worth, I'd support with Eric's proposal to use a single hidden
compressed file as it would solve our ASP.NET problems.

Regards,
Staurt.

RE: Space wasting

Posted by Stuart Robertson <do...@absolutesys.com>.