Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Hicks <jo...@gulfbridge.net> on 2005/08/16 19:15:37 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.0.54 configuration with cgi,php scripting support

Note that this HTML message (the one I am replying to) contains multiple
links to the identical message posted on experts-exchange.com.

Note that the question is a very general one with an obvious answer, but
one that will probably be searched for with some frequency ("Apache
install and configure documentation"). Note that the terms in the
message which are hyperlinked are also ones that would tend to be
searched for (documentation, Apache, server, CGI, PHP).

Note that all the links from this posting to experts-exchange will tend
to bias search engines to deliver that domain higher in its results.

Note that experts-exchange is a profit making organization, charging $10
per month for (in this case at least) information available elsewhere
for free. (There is nothing wrong with making a profit, per se, but that
should be for adding value, not ripping off other people's efforts.)

One could speculate that a post such as this may not have been made in
good faith.

Perhaps the Apache list server should be set to convert html messages to
plaintext. (Mailman has a setting for this, I know.)

Just my two cents' worth.

John

Re: [users@httpd] output csv mime headers for downloading

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 8/16/05, theshz <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to allow my users to download a csv file, and am hoping with
> the correct header, the
> browser will offer to download rather than display the content. I added the
> ".csv" extension to mime.types
> next to ".xls" as "application/vnd.ms-excel xls csv", but the browser
> (firefox) still displays the content
> rather than offering for download. If I use ".xls", all works fine. What am
> I doing wrong?

Have you inspected the actual Content-Type header being returned by
the server?  It probably hasn't changed, which probably means that you
aren't editting the right config file or you aren't restarting httpd
after making the changes.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] output csv mime headers for downloading

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.0.54 configuration with cgi,php scripting support

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 8/16/05, John Hicks <jo...@gulfbridge.net> wrote:
> Note that this HTML message (the one I am replying to) contains multiple
> links to the identical message posted on experts-exchange.com.

> One could speculate that a post such as this may not have been made in
> good faith.

I agree that this looks very dubious.

> Perhaps the Apache list server should be set to convert html messages to
> plaintext. (Mailman has a setting for this, I know.)

I'm not going to do anything in particular about this at the moment,
except for recommending that people stay away from a company with such
unethical marketing practices.

I believe that our list mangager (ezmlm) has the capability to reject
messages with html, but not to strip html.

Joshua.