Posted to commits@couchdb.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/08/19 12:22:20 UTC

[Couchdb Wiki] Update of "FrequentlyAskedQuestions" by JanLehnardt

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Couchdb Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by JanLehnardt:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

The comment on the change is:
Add FaQ about connecting to a remote CouchDB installation securely.

  choice of language for helper scripts is Python, but any will do,
  whatever suits you best.

+ == I use CouchDB on a remote server and I don't want it to listen on a public port for security reasons. Is there a way to connect to it from my local machine or can I still use Futon with it? ==
+
+ On you local machine, set up an ssh tunnel to your server and
+ tell it to forward requests to the local port 5984 to the remote
+ server's port 5984:
+
+ {{{
+ $ ssh -L5984:127.0.0.1:5984 ssh.example.com
+ }}}
+
+ Now you can connect to the remote CouchDB through
+ http://localhost:5984/
+