Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Anthony Green <gr...@redhat.com> on 2005/08/25 00:16:45 UTC

com.sun.image.*

Hi,

	batik 1.6 (as packaged by jpackage.org) builds nicely on the Fedora
Core 4 Linux distribution with a fully Free and Open Source java stack
(gcj, the Eclipse compiler, etc), with the exception of a few classes
using com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.*.

	The com.sun.image.code.jpeg.* classes aren't part of the standard java
platform, and there are no Free or Open Source implementations of the
classes available for us to use.  Can similar functionality be achieved
through the use of core classes, like ImageIO?  If so, are there any
plans for such a migration?

	Getting batik to build with free software solutions opens the door to
including it, and applications that depend on it, in fully free Linux
distributions, like Fedora and Debian.

Thanks for your help!

AG

Re: com.sun.image.*

Posted by Anthony Green <gr...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 20:05 -0400, Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> > If so, are there any plans for such a migration?
>
>     The basic problem is that javax.imageio is only available in
> JDK 1.4 and higher.  Currently Batik target's 1.3 and higher.
> However we recently created a source tree for JDK 1.4 specific
> classes (only compiled for JDK 1.4 of course).  So it might be
> possible to add to the current support with this.

That would be great.

One of the biggest challenges the Free Software community has is to
convince application and library developers to avoid dependencies on
Sun's JRE implementation.  These dependencies usually take the form of
com.sun.* and sun.misc.* package references. But we're slowly making
progress...

http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathMigration

A JDK 1.4 branch of Batik sounds like a good place to lose the Sun
dependencies!

I've forwarded your note to the fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
mailing list, asking for interested parties to help out here.  I hope we
can make batik run on Free Software platforms soon!

AG

Re: com.sun.image.*

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Anthony,

Anthony Green wrote:

> 	batik 1.6 (as packaged by jpackage.org) builds nicely on the Fedora
> Core 4 Linux distribution with a fully Free and Open Source java stack
> (gcj, the Eclipse compiler, etc), with the exception of a few classes
> using com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.*.
>
> 	The com.sun.image.code.jpeg.* classes aren't part of the standard java
> platform, and there are no Free or Open Source implementations of the
> classes available for us to use.  Can similar functionality be achieved
> through the use of core classes, like ImageIO?

    I would imagine so.  There are some potential issues with the
handling of colorspaces but my understanding is that imageio
tends to be more complete in general.

> If so, are there any plans for such a migration?

    The basic problem is that javax.imageio is only available in
JDK 1.4 and higher.  Currently Batik target's 1.3 and higher.
However we recently created a source tree for JDK 1.4 specific
classes (only compiled for JDK 1.4 of course).  So it might be
possible to add to the current support with this.

> 	Getting batik to build with free software solutions opens the door to
> including it, and applications that depend on it, in fully free Linux
> distributions, like Fedora and Debian.

    Any help from the these communities would be very welcome!