Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2021/06/11 14:01:11 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.68

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.68 release is now available for voting.

The notable changes compared to the (cancelled) 8.5.67 release is:

- Windows installer / uninstaller are now properly-signed.

The notable changes compared to the 8.5.66 release are:

- Improve robustness of HTTP/2 HPACK decoding

- Improvements to the handling of the Transfer-Encoding header

- Review code used to generate Java source from JSPs and tags and remove
    code found to be unnecessary.

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.68/

The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1317/

The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.68
06846f94cda226d1ed0ff7fe05faff177d5b20b6

The proposed 8.5.68 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.68

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.68

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 6/15/21 11:55, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 15/06/2021 16:17, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 15/06/2021 14:30, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> On 6/15/21 08:20, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>
>> <snip/>

>>> Thanks very much.
>>>
>>> I'll hold the release until you are able to run it or report that it
>>> will be very complicated/time-consuming for you to run it this time.
>>
>> First run: 1517 passed, 93 failed
>>
>> The majority look like configuration issues. I can't recall off-hand
>> if there are problematic tests or not.
>
> I think we have an early version of the 3.1 TCK rather than a final
> version. The date on the file (26 Feb 2013) suggests that as the spec
> wasn't finalised until 28 May 2013.
>
> Looking at the failures they seem to be either broken tests (e.g.
> missing classes, undocumented but required configuration settings) or
> faulty tests (testing for wrong version / state) etc. I've confirmed a
> few of these errors by checking against a newer version of the spec.
>
> I don't think there is any benefit in running this broken version of the
> TCK.

ACK

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.68

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 15/06/2021 16:17, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 6/15/21 08:20, Mark Thomas wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>> Meanwhile, I'll look at running the Servlet TCK for 8.5.68.
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>
>> I'll hold the release until you are able to run it or report that it
>> will be very complicated/time-consuming for you to run it this time.
>
> First run: 1517 passed, 93 failed
>
> The majority look like configuration issues. I can't recall off-hand if
> there are problematic tests or not.

I think we have an early version of the 3.1 TCK rather than a final
version. The date on the file (26 Feb 2013) suggests that as the spec
wasn't finalised until 28 May 2013.

Looking at the failures they seem to be either broken tests (e.g.
missing classes, undocumented but required configuration settings) or
faulty tests (testing for wrong version / state) etc. I've confirmed a
few of these errors by checking against a newer version of the spec.

I don't think there is any benefit in running this broken version of the
TCK.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.68

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> On 6/15/21 08:20, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

>> Meanwhile, I'll look at running the Servlet TCK for 8.5.68.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> I'll hold the release until you are able to run it or report that it
> will be very complicated/time-consuming for you to run it this time.

First run: 1517 passed, 93 failed

The majority look like configuration issues. I can't recall off-hand if
there are problematic tests or not.

I haven't seen anything that could cause me to vote -1 on this release.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.68

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 6/11/21 16:55, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> =Not a vote=
>>
>> I have an issue on Windows; I'd like some feedback.
>>
>> On 6/11/21 10:01, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.68 release is now available for voting.
>>>
>>> The notable changes compared to the (cancelled) 8.5.67 release is:
>>>
>>> - Windows installer / uninstaller are now properly-signed.
>>>
>>> The notable changes compared to the 8.5.66 release are:
>>>
>>> - Improve robustness of HTTP/2 HPACK decoding
>>>
>>> - Improvements to the handling of the Transfer-Encoding header
>>>
>>> - Review code used to generate Java source from JSPs and tags and remove
>>>     code found to be unnecessary.
>>>
>>> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>>>
>>> For full details, see the changelog:
>>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html
>>>
>>> It can be obtained from:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.68/
>>>
>>> The Maven staging repo is:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1317/
>>>
>>> The tag is:
>>> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.68
>>> 06846f94cda226d1ed0ff7fe05faff177d5b20b6
>>>
>>> The proposed 8.5.68 release is:
>>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>>> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.68
>>
>> Running the unit tests on Windows, I have a failure in the
>> org.apache.catalina.core.TestAsyncContextImpl.NIO test:
>>
>> Testsuite: org.apache.catalina.core.TestAsyncContextImpl
>> Tests run: 70, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
>> 69.859 sec
>>
>> [....]
>> Testcase: testBug50352 took 2.982 sec
>>          FAILED
>> Uri: /, Status: 200, Time: 2836 duration is not >= 2900
>> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Uri: /, Status: 200, Time: 2836
>> duration is not >= 2900
>>          at
>> org.apache.catalina.valves.TesterAccessLogValve.validateAccessLog(TesterAccessLogValve.java:90)
>>
>>          at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.TestAsyncContextImpl.testBug50352(TestAsyncContextImpl.java:1140)
>>

>> This is running on a VirtualBox Windows 10 VM. Is this just a case of
>> the JVM on Windows not implementing ms-perfect delays and/or
>> time-keeping?
>
> Looks like it, yes. The values are close enough that I wouldn't worry
> about them. With VMware Workstation I often find it is the other way.
> The tests fail because the timeouts don't happen fast enough.

Thanks for that.

Would you be able to run the TCK against this release candidate? I need
to add that to my toolbox as well, maybe for the next release.

Thanks,
-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.68

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
=Not a vote=

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 5:01 PM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.68 release is now available for voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to the (cancelled) 8.5.67 release is:
>
> - Windows installer / uninstaller are now properly-signed.
>
> The notable changes compared to the 8.5.66 release are:
>
> - Improve robustness of HTTP/2 HPACK decoding
>
> - Improvements to the handling of the Transfer-Encoding header
>
> - Review code used to generate Java source from JSPs and tags and remove
>     code found to be unnecessary.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.68/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1317/
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.68
> 06846f94cda226d1ed0ff7fe05faff177d5b20b6
>
> The proposed 8.5.68 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [  X ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.68

Regards,
Martin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.68

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Igal,

On 6/14/21 10:59, Igal Sapir wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> <snip/>
>> * Junit Tests: FAILED
>> *
>> * Tests that failed:
>> * org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.APR.txt
>> * org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.NIO.txt
>> * org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.NIO2.txt
>> *
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.APR.txt
>> *
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.NIO.txt
>> *
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.NIO2.txt
>> * org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.APR.txt
>> * org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.NIO.txt
>> * org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.NIO2.txt
>> *
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.APR.txt
>> *
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.NIO.txt
>> *
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.NIO2.txt
>> *
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.APR.txt
>> *
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.NIO.txt
>> *
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.NIO2.txt
>> *
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.APR.txt
>> *
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.NIO.txt
>> *
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.NIO2.txt
>> * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.APR.txt
>> * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO.txt
>> * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO2.txt
>> *
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.net
>> .openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.APR.txt
>> *
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.net
>> .openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.NIO.txt
>> *
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.net
>> .openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.NIO2.txt
>>

> I've been having failed tests for a while now with the timing of the
> tribes.** packages on Ubuntu laptop (not a VM).  At first I was concerned
> but I believe that it's a non-issue.  Recently I added the following to
> build.properties to skip those tests:
>
> test.exclude=org/apache/catalina/tribes/group/Test*,org/apache/catalina/tribes/group/interceptors/Test*

Yeah, I could probably do that. Interestingly enough, my Windows 10 VM
did *not* fail these tests, so that's nice.

I didn't test APR on Windows, though, I don't think. I don't think I had
the right DLLs in the right places.

I'd really like to get the OpenSSL ones running properly. Something
about telling the test suite which cipher suites are/aren't available.

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.68

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
Chris,

> [...]

> * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO2.txt
> *
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net
> .openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.APR.txt
> *
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net
> .openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.NIO.txt
> *
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net
> .openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.NIO2.txt

I've been having failed tests for a while now with the timing of the
tribes.** packages on Ubuntu laptop (not a VM).  At first I was concerned
but I believe that it's a non-issue.  Recently I added the following to
build.properties to skip those tests:

test.exclude=org/apache/catalina/tribes/group/Test*,org/apache/catalina/tribes/group/interceptors/Test*

Best,

Igal

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.68

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.68 release is now available for voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to the (cancelled) 8.5.67 release is:
>
> - Windows installer / uninstaller are now properly-signed.
>
> The notable changes compared to the 8.5.66 release are:
>
> - Improve robustness of HTTP/2 HPACK decoding
>
> - Improvements to the handling of the Transfer-Encoding header
>
> - Review code used to generate Java source from JSPs and tags and remove
>     code found to be unnecessary.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.68/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1317/
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.68
> 06846f94cda226d1ed0ff7fe05faff177d5b20b6
>
> The proposed 8.5.68 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.68

Works on a development application without anything fancy. Unit tests
pass on Linux, other than those listed below (which I expect to fail in
this environment).

Tests on Windows 10 passed except for a timing issue which wasn't
reproducible on a second run.

-chris

Details:

* Environment
*  Java (build):     openjdk version "1.8.0_292" OpenJDK Runtime
Environment (build 1.8.0_292-8u292-b10-0+deb9u1-b10) OpenJDK 64-Bit
Server VM (build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
*  Java (test):     openjdk version "1.8.0_292" OpenJDK Runtime
Environment (build 1.8.0_292-8u292-b10-0+deb9u1-b10) OpenJDK 64-Bit
Server VM (build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
*  OS:       Linux 4.19.0-16-amd64 x86_64
*  cc:       cc (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0
*  make:     GNU Make 4.2.1
*  OpenSSL:  OpenSSL 1.1.1 11 Sep 2018
*  APR:      1.6.5
*
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68.zip
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68.tar.gz
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68.exe
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68.exe
* Valid SHA512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68-src.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68-src.zip
* Valid SHA512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68-src.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.68-src.tar.gz
*
* Binary Zip and tarball: Same
* Source Zip and tarball: Same
*
* Building dependencies returned: 0
* tcnative builds cleanly
* Tomcat builds cleanly
* Junit Tests: FAILED
*

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:01 AM Christopher Schultz <

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 4:01 PM Christopher Schultz <