Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Graeme Wilkinson <gr...@enigma-interactive.co.uk> on 2006/11/15 15:17:19 UTC

RMI Ports

Is there a way to configure Jackrabbit to assign a specified port for
RemoteObjects when using RMI? I know you can set the RMI registry port
(which I have done) but the arbitrary port assigned to remote server
objects (e.g. RemoteRepository) is blocked but my firewall. I could open
this arbitrary port on the firewall but the port is resigned when ever
the server JVM restarts, I don't want to have to reconfigure the
firewall each time.

I think you can actually set this port in code by using
UnicastRemoteObject( int port ) constructor but from what I've seen of
the source code for the jackrabbit RMI functionality this is not used
(or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place).

Cheers,
Graeme

Re: RMI Ports

Posted by Christoph Kiehl <ki...@subshell.com>.
Graeme Wilkinson wrote:
> Is there a way to configure Jackrabbit to assign a specified port for
> RemoteObjects when using RMI? I know you can set the RMI registry port
> (which I have done) but the arbitrary port assigned to remote server
> objects (e.g. RemoteRepository) is blocked but my firewall. I could open
> this arbitrary port on the firewall but the port is resigned when ever
> the server JVM restarts, I don't want to have to reconfigure the
> firewall each time.
>
> I think you can actually set this port in code by using
> UnicastRemoteObject( int port ) constructor but from what I've seen of
> the source code for the jackrabbit RMI functionality this is not used
> (or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place).

You could use

UnicastRemoteObject.unexportObject(...)

and the use

UnicastRemoteObject.exportObject(..., port)

to export your remote object on a specific port. At least that is what I'm doing.

Cheers,
Christoph

Re: RMI Ports

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 11/15/06, Graeme Wilkinson <gr...@enigma-interactive.co.uk> wrote:
> Is there a way to configure Jackrabbit to assign a specified port for
> RemoteObjects when using RMI?

Unfortunately no.

> I think you can actually set this port in code by using
> UnicastRemoteObject( int port ) constructor but from what I've seen of
> the source code for the jackrabbit RMI functionality this is not used
> (or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place).

This shouldn't be hard to add. Please file an enhancement request in
the issue tracker.

BR,

Jukka Zitting