Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/06 21:11:40 UTC

redistribution of sun j2ee xsd's and dtd's

I see that Tomcat binary distributions (and source tree) contains Sun
j2ee xsd's and dtd's (an ASL v2 license has even been applied to them).

Since the files are Copyrighted by Sun and state:

    No part of this document may be reproduced in any form by any
means without prior written authorization of Sun and its licensors,
if any.

Can someone help me understand what rights the ASF holds to
redistribute these files?

The Geronimo project had some of these xsd's and dtd's in our source
tree, which we went through some pains to remove. I've just found
other occurrences in the geronimo specs source tree and I'm trying to
figure out how to proceed...

--kevan

Re: redistribution of sun j2ee xsd's and dtd's

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 6, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Yoav Shapira wrote:

> Hi,
> Ah yes: if you've got access to the Foundation svn repository (ASF
> Members have access), you can check out Correspondence/Sun for the
> Memorandum of Understanding from 1999 that covers this I think (IANAL
> of course).  It's makes for fun historical reading ;)

That's great, Yoav. Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm not a member... I'm
asking around to see how I can get access to the docs.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Ah yes: if you've got access to the Foundation svn repository (ASF
Members have access), you can check out Correspondence/Sun for the
Memorandum of Understanding from 1999 that covers this I think (IANAL
of course).  It's makes for fun historical reading ;)

Yoav

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 6, 2006, at 8:29 PM, Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>> Kevan Miller wrote:
>>> Well, that's certainly the way it <ought> to be, IMO. However,
>>> the xsd's (e.g. http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/
>>> trunk/java/javax/servlet/resources/j2ee_1_4.xsd) are copyrighted
>>> by Sun and distribution is explicitly disallowed without
>>> authorization by Sun...
>>>
>>> None of this is mentioned in your license or notice files,
>>> either, which would be helpful...
>>>
>>> BTW, I see the Eclipse JDT compiler is included in your
>>> distribution. It's mentioned in your notice, but the license
>>> should be included, also.
>> I don't know yet (note: these files have always been shipped with
>> Tomcat, so I don't think a resolution is urgent).
>> I verified the descriptors exist in the specification documents
>> (in the PDFs) without any Sun copyright comments, so I believe
>> they can legally be distributed with Tomcat under the Apache
>> license without any problem, and the Sun related portion should be
>> removed. I think you should ask on the jcp list at Apache for
>> verification, since they probably know that.
>
> I'm also double checking internally. Should have an answer soom.

Thanks Jeanfrancois. Any progress?

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Kevan Miller wrote:
>> Well, that's certainly the way it <ought> to be, IMO. However, the
>> xsd's (e.g.
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/javax/servlet/resources/j2ee_1_4.xsd)
>> are copyrighted by Sun and distribution is explicitly disallowed
>> without authorization by Sun...
>>
>> None of this is mentioned in your license or notice files, either,
>> which would be helpful...
>>
>> BTW, I see the Eclipse JDT compiler is included in your distribution.
>> It's mentioned in your notice, but the license should be included, also.
>
> I don't know yet (note: these files have always been shipped with
> Tomcat, so I don't think a resolution is urgent).
>
> I verified the descriptors exist in the specification documents (in the
> PDFs) without any Sun copyright comments, so I believe they can legally
> be distributed with Tomcat under the Apache license without any problem,
> and the Sun related portion should be removed. I think you should ask on
> the jcp list at Apache for verification, since they probably know that.

I'm also double checking internally. Should have an answer soom.

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.