Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2002/06/18 21:43:27 UTC

OT: LGPL/Java Was: [graph] Documentation

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

> Yup that's one of the libraries I'm looking at, but I
> was hoping to find one with a non-viral license.  Many
> question the meaning of LGPL in Java.

Yeah, a couple of years back I had been told that LGPL was great for Java
as the class/package/jar structure takes care of the clauses about being
able to replace the code easily, however it's never seemed that common.

Do you have any idea about the current stance on it? Do GNU have a view on
whether an Apache licenced project can use an LGPL?

Re: OT: LGPL/Java Was: [graph] Documentation

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Morgan Delagrange wrote:
>
> > Yup that's one of the libraries I'm looking at,
> but I
> > was hoping to find one with a non-viral license.
> Many
> > question the meaning of LGPL in Java.
>
> Yeah, a couple of years back I had been told that
> LGPL was great for Java
> as the class/package/jar structure takes care of the
> clauses about being
> able to replace the code easily, however it's never
> seemed that common.
>
> Do you have any idea about the current stance on it?
> Do GNU have a view on
> whether an Apache licenced project can use an LGPL?

I'm not sure there is consensus.  I've been warned to
steer clear of LGPL, mainly because its language
concerning "linking" is not very Java-centric and
could possibly result in contaminating other licenses.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs