Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/14 16:33:03 UTC

Some maturity model comments

CD40: perhaps change 'previous version' to 'released version'

CD50: the committer is not necessarily the author; someone might read
this and not understand what it implies for committers committing
contributions via all of the channels allowed for by the AL. One patch
would be 'immediate provenance', another would be some more lengthier
language about the process.

LC20: do we need to explain what we mean by 'dependencies'? This has
been a point of friction. Expand or footnote to the distinctions
between essential and optional?

LC50: the footnote seems wrong; the ASF does not own copyright,
rather, the author retains, and grants the license.

RE40: do you want to add an explicit statement that legal
responsibility falls upon the head of the person who happened to run
the build?

QU20: Maybe we need to expands on 'secure'? Maybe this is too strong?
What's wrong with building a product that is explicitly not intended
for use attack-prone environments.

QU40: Not all communities might agree. Some communities might see
themselves as building fast-moving products. Some communities may lack
the level of volunteer effort required to satisfy this. Does this make
them immature, or just a group of volunteers with different
priorities?

IN10: I fear that a more detailed definition of independence is going
to be called for here to avoid controversy.

Re: Some maturity model comments

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
On 15/01/2015 11:33, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org> wrote:
>> I think the LC50 is actually correct but could perhaps be phrased
>>better...
>
>I've used your suggestion, thanks!

Great

>> QU30:
>> Agreed, some projects may not do anything that is attack prone...
>
>Added a footnote
>
>> ...Should there be a CS60 about the rare need for private discussions...
>
>I have added a mention of that in CS50 with a footnote, does that work
>for you?

Yes I think that is much nicer wording and I agree that it best belongs in
a footnote

Rob

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Lefty Leverenz
<le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, duh, it's the maturity model.  Well, in context I found it confusing....

Indeed - I have changed CO10 to read "...according to this maturity model".

Thanks!
-Bertrand

Re: Some maturity model comments

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Oh, duh, it's the maturity model.  Well, in context I found it confusing.

-- Lefty

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
LC50:

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Thanks for the comments in this thread, I (think I) have incorporated
them in revision 14 of
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ApacheProjectMaturityModel

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> CD40: perhaps change 'previous version' to 'released version'

done

> CD50: the committer is not necessarily the author;...

Added something about thirdy-party contributions

> LC20: do we need to explain what we mean by 'dependencies'?...

Left that as a TODO for now, it might be good but I don't know what to write :-/

> LC50: the footnote seems wrong; the ASF does not own copyright,
> rather, the author retains, and grants the license.

Fixed as per Rob's suggestion

> ...RE40: do you want to add an explicit statement that legal
> responsibility falls upon the head of the person who happened to run
> the build?...

Chickened out on that one for now - do we have that info somewhere
else that I could point to?

> QU20: Maybe we need to expands on 'secure'?...

Added a footnote

> QU40: Not all communities might agree....

Let's discuss in a separate thread

> ...IN10: I fear that a more detailed definition of independence is going
> to be called for here to avoid controversy....

Added a footnote.

Thanks for the comments, do those changes work for you guys?

-Bertrand