Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/03 12:52:21 UTC

spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4

Hi ALL

I have spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4 installed by default in RHEL4 Linux
box, How do i configure spamassassin and integrate it with Sendmail

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Re: spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4

Posted by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 7/3/06, Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did what you said exactly and its up and running,
>
> How do i test all this configurations for SPAM ????

sendmail YourLocalEmailAddress <
/usr/share/doc/spamassassin-3.1.3/sample-spam.txt

Re: spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4

Posted by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 7/3/06, Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick turnaround. I installed the latest spamassassin
> version for RHEL4
>
> [root@bdcworld kaushal]# rpm -qa | grep spam
> spamass-milter-0.3.0-1.2.el4.rf
> spamassassin-3.1.3-1

Where did you get that spamassassin RPM?

schaefer[502] rpm -qf /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-spamc.rc
spamassassin-3.1.3-1.el4.rf

The contents of spamassassin-spamc.rc are very simple and have not
changed from the 3.0.6-1 RPM:

# send mail through spamassassin
:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamc

> I also dont have procmailrc under /etc.

That's normal, there is no default global procmail configuration.  You
can just create that file.

However, if you are using the milter, then you should NOT run spamc
from procmail, so you don't need to make any changes to procmail
configuration in that case.

> How do i proceed here

I've not used spamass-milter, so I don't know what is needed to
configure that.  You will at least need to make sure the spamd process
is running if you are using the milter (chkconfig and service start as
I mentioned previously), and you probably need to restart sendmail.

Re: spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4

Posted by Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 7/3/06, Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/3/06, Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4 installed by default in RHEL4 Linux
>
> There have been updates since then.  Current is
> spamassassin-3.0.6-1.el4 -- but note that I recently reported that
> spamd in that package has a problem with whitelist_from_rcvd
> directives "leaking" from one user to another.  You might want to
> install the 3.1.3 RPM from rpmforge.net
>
> > box, How do i configure spamassassin and integrate it with Sendmail
>
> First you need to run (as root)
>
> chkconfig spamassassin on
> service spamassassin start
>
> The RedHat (and rpmforge) spamassassin packages supply some files
>
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-default.rc
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-spamc.rc
>
> There's nothing especially magic about these, but the intention is
> that users who want to pass their mail through SA can insert into
> $HOME/.procmailrc a line such as
>
> INCLUDERC=/etc/mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-spamc.rc
>
> and not have to worry about the details.
>
> If you as system administrator want to run spamc for all users, you'd
> place that line in the /etc/procmailrc file.  Just *before* that line,
> you should also have the line
>
> DROPPRIVS=yes
>
> otherwise spamassassin will run as root rather than as the individual
> user whose mail is being scanned.

Hi Bart

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I installed the latest spamassassin
version for RHEL4

[root@bdcworld kaushal]# rpm -qa | grep spam
spamass-milter-0.3.0-1.2.el4.rf
spamassassin-3.1.3-1
[root@bdcworld kaushal]#

As you said i could not see spamassassin-default.rc and spamassassin-spamc.rc

[root@bdcworld spamassassin]# pwd
/etc/mail/spamassassin
[root@bdcworld spamassassin]# ls
init.pre  local.cf  v310.pre  v312.pre
[root@bdcworld spamassassin]#

How do I proceed ???

Re: spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4

Posted by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
jdow wrote:
> From: "Steven Stern" <su...@sterndata.com>
>
>> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>>> Hi ALL
>>>
>>> I have spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4 installed by default in RHEL4 Linux
>>> box, How do i configure spamassassin and integrate it with Sendmail
>>>
>>> Thanks and Regards
>>>
>>> Kaushal
>>>

>> Install spamass-milter to link spamassassin and Sendmail.
>
> Procmail also works nicely.
> {^_^}

The OP needs to clarify if he's using SA for a few accounts on his own
machine or operating an MX server fronting something else.

There are many paths....

--

  Steve

Re: spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Steven Stern" <su...@sterndata.com>

Re: spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> On 7/3/06, Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com> wrote:
>> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> > Hi ALL
>> >
>> > I have spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4 installed by default in RHEL4 Linux
>> > box, How do i configure spamassassin and integrate it with Sendmail
>> >
>> > Thanks and Regards
>> >
>> > Kaushal
>> >

>> Install spamass-milter to link spamassassin and Sendmail.
>>
>> --
>>
>>  Steve
>>
> Hi Steve
>
> Thanks for the quick turn around.I got it installed and how do i
> proceed and test for spams
>
> [root@bdcworld kaushal]# rpm -qa | grep sendmail
> sendmail-8.13.1-2
> sendmail-cf-8.13.1-2
> [root@bdcworld kaushal]# rpm -qa | grep spamass-milter
> spamass-milter-0.3.0-1.2.el4.rf
> [root@bdcworld kaushal]# rpm -qa | grep spamassassin
> spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4
> [root@bdcworld kaushal]#
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Kaushal
Be sure to read the document files that ship with it. You'll need to
modify sendmail.mc to enable the milter and make some decisions on what
you want to do with spam.

man spamass-milter is a good place to start, as well as
/usr/share/doc/spamass-milter-0.3.1/README

Please keep replies on the list. (It would be nice if they configured it
to work that way by default.)

Re: spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.