Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au> on 2005/03/22 11:39:52 UTC

Assembly - two artefacts: assembly-deployer and assembly-server

Hi,

I think that we should produce two artefacts as part of the assembly steps:
* geronimo-assembly-server: only the stuff for the server; and
* geronimo-assembly-deployer: only the stuff for the deployer.

This way is it more easy for end-users to understand what is actually
used by a geronimo deployer and a geronimo server.

I know that assembly is planned to be moved outside of modules; and it
should be great to split it into two projects at the same time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Gianny

Re: Assembly - two artefacts: assembly-deployer and assembly-server

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Gianny Damour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that we should produce two artefacts as part of the assembly steps:
> * geronimo-assembly-server: only the stuff for the server; and
> * geronimo-assembly-deployer: only the stuff for the deployer.
>
> This way is it more easy for end-users to understand what is actually
> used by a geronimo deployer and a geronimo server.
>
> I know that assembly is planned to be moved outside of modules; and it
> should be great to split it into two projects at the same time.
>
> Any thoughts?

That's part of what I am playing with that experimental plugin. The
intention there is to allow each configuration to be generated as a
separate artifact so we can modularize them - I put the first one under
~/configs/ but they would be easy enough to move around.

With each configuration as a separate sub-project then we can actually
document what it does and can easily see its dependencies. Hopefully
that will eliminate some of the confusion.

Once all the artifact generation is done, the assembly phase would just
handle copying them into the final structure for distribution making it
much simpler to see what it is doing. I'm thinking we have another
plugin to help with that.

I was thinking we would have a multiple projects under ~/assemblies/ for
different distributions (e.g. j2ee, jetty, tomcat, ...) or purposes
(e.g. server, client, offline deployer, ...)

This also makes it easier for users to tailor assemblies for what they
actually need (a bit like Eclipse). We, and others, generate a library
of configurations (a bit like plugins) and users can easily assemble
them into the exact server that they want.

--
Jeremy