Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Stephen Weiss <sw...@stylesight.com> on 2008/11/20 06:11:24 UTC

Field collapsing (SOLR-236) and Solr 1.3.0 release version

Hi,

A requirement has come up in a project where we're going to need to
group by a field in the result set.  I looked into the SOLR-236 patch
and it seems there are a couple versions out now that are supposed to
work against the Solr 1.3.0 release.

This is a production site, it really can't be running anything that's
going to crash or take up too many resources.  I wanted to check with
the list and see if anyone is using this patch with the Solr 1.3.0
release and if it is stable enough / performs well enough for serious
usage.  We have an index of 3M+ documents and a grouped result set
would be about 50-75% the total size of the ungrouped results.

Thanks for any information or pointers.

--
Steve Weiss
Stylesight

Re: Field collapsing (SOLR-236) and Solr 1.3.0 release version

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
> if only i could magic all these damn pdfs I have into some code :)

+1

I want some of that magic too!

Re: Field collapsing (SOLR-236) and Solr 1.3.0 release version

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
gurudev wrote:

> One thing that you can go with is using "adjacent" field collapsing rather
> than simple collapsing. As internally SOLR would first sort on the collapse
> field to use simple collapsing, which is not the case with "adjacent"
> collapsing.

This something that I think could be improved in that patch (non
adjacent collapsing). There is a lot of work done on this as its
essentially a groupby in sql and shares a lot of the issues of an sql
join. The current strategy is to use two sorts - thats certainly a valid
approach, but I think there are much better possibilities. Again, I have
like half a dozen PDFs on possible algorithms or whatnot if anyone is
interested - if only i could magic all these damn pdfs I have into some
code :)

Re: Field collapsing (SOLR-236) and Solr 1.3.0 release version

Posted by gurudev <su...@yahoo.com>.
We are about to release Field collapsing in our production site, but the
index size is not as big as yours.
Definitely collapsing is an added overhead. You can do some load testing and
bench mark on some dataset as you would expect on your production project as
SOLR-236 is currently available only as patch.

Secondly, provide mechanism so you can switch it off/on depending on the
condition of the production servers.