Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Achim Huegen <ah...@gmx-topmail.de> on 2004/03/08 21:02:32 UTC

[HiveMind] Nonintrusive configuration

Hi,

while it is rather easy to reuse HiveMind services with another ioc
framework this is not true for configuration data. Look at this
configuration:

<module id="moduleId" version="1.0.0" >
	<contribution configuration-id="User" >
		<user name="mka" password="mka" />
	</contribution>
</module>

HiveMind is quite intrusive here. The configuration data resides in a
Hivemind specific contribution element which is nested in a module
element. Reuse could be simplified by introducing external configurations:

<module id="moduleId" version="1.0.0" >
	<file-contribution configuration-id="User" fileName="users.xml"
root="users" />
</module>

.. external file users.xml (on classpath):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO_8859-1"?>
<users>
   <user name="mka" password="mka" />
</users>

Advantages:
- configurations are framework independent
- configuration files can use a schema for validation
- you can use existing formats/files easily (for those switching to
hivemind)

What do you think?

Bye

Achim Huegen

Re: [HiveMind] Nonintrusive configuration

Posted by Christian Essl <ch...@yahoo.de>.
I agree with you. I think that's a good idea. Maybe:

<contribution .. parser-service-id=".." ..>
  .. args to paser-service like
  <resource path=""/>
</contribution>

Thanks

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:02:32 +0100, Achim Huegen <ah...@gmx-topmail.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while it is rather easy to reuse HiveMind services with another ioc
> framework this is not true for configuration data. Look at this
> configuration:
>
> <module id="moduleId" version="1.0.0" >
> 	<contribution configuration-id="User" >
> 		<user name="mka" password="mka" />
> 	</contribution>
> </module>
>
> HiveMind is quite intrusive here. The configuration data resides in a
> Hivemind specific contribution element which is nested in a module
> element. Reuse could be simplified by introducing external
> configurations:
>
> <module id="moduleId" version="1.0.0" >
> 	<file-contribution configuration-id="User" fileName="users.xml"
> root="users" />
> </module>
>
> .. external file users.xml (on classpath):
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO_8859-1"?>
> <users>
>    <user name="mka" password="mka" />
> </users>
>
> Advantages:
> - configurations are framework independent
> - configuration files can use a schema for validation
> - you can use existing formats/files easily (for those switching to
> hivemind)
>
> What do you think?
>
> Bye
>
> Achim Huegen