Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> on 2023/01/18 15:47:32 UTC

About: Apache NetBeans 17 feature freeze

I would have thought that any approved PR with NB-17 milestone gets
merged. Guess not.

I didn't realize there was more politics after that.

-ernie

Re: About: Apache NetBeans 17 feature freeze

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 23/01/18 8:40 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> Any particular PR in mind?  Is it a candidate for RC2?

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5280

It hardly seems a candidate. Been around, easy workaround...

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 23/01/18 11:18 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023, 18:42 Ernie Rael, <er...@raelity.com> wrote:
>
> Changed it to just a comment. I'm not sure how many people really use the
> affected code without the window system.

And I commented, quoted warning from Frame.getFrames() javadoc.

>>> If rebased on delivery and review completed it's a possible bug fix
>>> for rc2,
>> Let see what happens... Rebasing is no problem, that's a convenience about
>> making changes in an area that's rarely touched.
>>
> Should just be changing the base in the PR UI as it was already open at
> freeze.

Yep, particularly easy in this case.

If some reviewer says "go ahead for RC2", I'll rebase.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2023, 18:42 Ernie Rael, <er...@raelity.com> wrote:

> On 23/01/18 9:59 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> > Looking at https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5280 it had
> > approval from one of the four people requested to review.
>
> This is somewhat of a grey area to me. I often see PRs merged where
> some reviewers don't weigh in. In any event, the PR should have been
> opened earlier in the cycle.

Agree on both points - grey area, and earlier might have been easier.

> > Looks like
> > some of the conversation still ongoing?
> There's conversation about a different long outstanding issue that isn't
> about this PR; it has to do with dialog placement. After the recent
> discussion, I might know where the problem is (I can't reproduce it) but
> need some input from someone who sees the problem. Something for
> nb-18.

Ah, OK. Only just glanced through.

>    I've only just looked at it,
> > but might have a request for change.
> Cool. That livens things up and makes it more interesting.
> Good thing nobody merged it.

Changed it to just a comment. I'm not sure how many people really use the
affected code without the window system.

> > If rebased on delivery and review completed it's a possible bug fix
> > for rc2,
> Let see what happens... Rebasing is no problem, that's a convenience about
> making changes in an area that's rarely touched.

Should just be changing the base in the PR UI as it was already open at
freeze.

> but I'm not making that call.
>
> (as a commenter/reviewer, seems you're putting on a different hat ;-) )

Yes, release team hat is on! It's easier when we're not making that call as
well where possible. So, yes, be good if one of the other reviewers
commented on whether it should go in rc2 or not. Just saying that is an
option for someone to move back to the NB17 milestone.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: About: Apache NetBeans 17 feature freeze

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 17:41, Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> wrote:

> > you need
> > to bug people.
> That's what I meant by politics
>
> > the activities associated with the governance of a country or other
> > area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties
> > having or hoping to achieve [merge]

Fair enough!  It certainly reduces the politics for me to do the
freeze and branch. :-)

Looking at https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5280 it had
approval from one of the four people requested to review.  Looks like
some of the conversation still ongoing?  I've only just looked at it,

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 23/01/18 8:23 AM, Michael Bien wrote:
> no they won't get merged automatically.
>
> quote from Neil's notice mail:
> > All open pull requests for NB17 will be pushed to NB18.

I've read that, and I read it again before sending the message.
Guess I read it as

    "All unapproved pull requests..."

And I'm usually so literal...

The universe conspires so I'll run a custom version of NB.

-ernie

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.