Posted to dev@rocketmq.apache.org by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/30 00:23:36 UTC

Please respect the efforts of contributor

I just followed some PRs[1][2],  and found the PRs are closed just by a
simple comment[3] without any explanations. I don't think it is a good
practise.

As an Apache Camel maintainer for years, I always appreciate the efforts of
contributor, with the help of community we provide more than 200
components[4]. It's impossible for us to maintain such a big components
list without other contributions from the community.

It's a great opportunity for us to build a thriving community under the
umbrella of ASF, please spend some time to help the contributor and
appreciate their efforts.

[1]https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/pull/35
[2]https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/pull/41
[3]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/commit/0661ac8c07a995058b5f33579867779e4d487ee1
[4]http://camel.apache.org/components

Willem Jiang

          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Re: Please respect the efforts of contributor

Posted by Zhanhui Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Willem Jiang,

Thank you for pointing this issue out.

Without any doubt, we are deeply appreciating efforts/contributions from community and wishing to have a prosperous community. To be honest, we are relatively new and inexperienced in encouraging, inspiring contributors. Further issues and PRs would for sure be thoroughly discussed before closing.

Zhanhui Li.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
I don't like the way that close the PR by a simple commit message without
any code change.
It doesn't give any positive feedback to PR author, and it could hurt the
feeling of the PR author.

Normally, we could close the PR if the PR is merged. Either the PR author
or the committer can do this work.
If the PR is not merged, the committer should provide some suggestions and
remind the PR author the PR could be closed for some solid reasons.
It's important that we always encourage the contribution no matter if it's
a big one or a small one, and help the contributor to do their job better.

If the PR is not good enough, the maintainer could accept  part of the
change and do some changes on the base of PR as Justin said.

Willem Jiang

          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I don't see a huge concern here but more conversation and more detailed reasons for closing PR is always good. Helping contributors getting their PRs into shape is even better. Even if a PR needs a little work, it could be accepted and fixed by an existing committer rather than rejected or asking the contributor to make it perfect.

Thanks,
Justin