Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Brian K. Buckley" <bb...@surfglobal.net> on 2001/11/13 18:46:32 UTC

upgrade b6 to 4.0.1

Hello, I have a webapp with custom taglibs that was running fine with
Tomcat4 b6.

I installed Tomcat 4.0.1 and copied over my application to a subdirectory
under webapps but when I attempt to run it my JSPs now won't compile, giving
me lots of taglib-related error messages such as 'Undefined variable or
class name: BodyTag, Tag, etc.

I've got servlet.jar (the servlet API 2.3 75K one) in my common/lib and I
also tried adding it to my webapp lib but the problem remains.

When I look at the servlet java file that Tomcat creates from the JSP, it
appears there is a missing import line, such as "import
javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.*" causing the compiler to not recognize BodyTag
and Tag from the javax.servlet.jsp.tagext package.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

-Brian

Re: upgrade b6 to 4.0.1

Posted by "Brian K. Buckley" <bb...@surfglobal.net>.
> Did you copy your .tld and web.xml files as well?

Yes.  I copied the whole WEB-INF directory and subdirectories including the
lib directory that has the jars holding the taglib classes.  Everything.

Re: upgrade b6 to 4.0.1

Posted by Tom Drake <rt...@pobox.com>.

Re: upgrade b6 to 4.0.1

Posted by "Brian K. Buckley" <bb...@surfglobal.net>.
> The most likely scenario is that you are somehow trying to use the
> generated source files (for your JSP pages) from the "b6" release in the
> 4.0.1 release.  This won't work.  To get rid of them, shut down Tomcat and
> delete the entire contents of the "work" directory.  Then, when you
> restart, the sources will get regenerated under the 4.0.1 compiler.

Your scenario certainly sounds like it is on track, but it didn't work.  I
deleted the work directory (of 4.0.1 and also b6 and prior too) but the
regenerated source has the same Tag/BodyTag package problem.  Any other
thoughts?

- Brian

Re: upgrade b6 to 4.0.1

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Brian K. Buckley wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:46:32 -0500
> From: Brian K. Buckley <bb...@surfglobal.net>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: upgrade b6 to 4.0.1
>
> Hello, I have a webapp with custom taglibs that was running fine with
> Tomcat4 b6.
>
> I installed Tomcat 4.0.1 and copied over my application to a subdirectory
> under webapps but when I attempt to run it my JSPs now won't compile, giving
> me lots of taglib-related error messages such as 'Undefined variable or
> class name: BodyTag, Tag, etc.
>
> I've got servlet.jar (the servlet API 2.3 75K one) in my common/lib and I
> also tried adding it to my webapp lib but the problem remains.
>
> When I look at the servlet java file that Tomcat creates from the JSP, it
> appears there is a missing import line, such as "import
> javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.*" causing the compiler to not recognize BodyTag
> and Tag from the javax.servlet.jsp.tagext package.

The JSP spec requires that the default import list contain only:
  javax.servlet.*
  javax.servlet.http.*
  javax.servlet.jsp.*

Note that there was a recent change to Tomcat 4 (subsequent to b6) that
fixed this -- the import list used to be wrong.

> Does anyone know what's wrong?

The most likely scenario is that you are somehow trying to use the
generated source files (for your JSP pages) from the "b6" release in the
4.0.1 release.  This won't work.  To get rid of them, shut down Tomcat and
delete the entire contents of the "work" directory.  Then, when you
restart, the sources will get regenerated under the 4.0.1 compiler.

> -Brian

Craig