Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by zvika <zv...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/20 16:09:16 UTC

axis2 Calendar convertToDateTime

hi!

we started to make use of a webservice with generating an Apache Axis2 ADB
webservice client stub.
the webservice itself is provided by .NET on a IIS server.

the problem we have is that when the webservice serialize a DateTime Object
in a format of yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.ssssss'Z'   ssssss - dynamic positions
for the fractional seconds
but the ADB (org.apache.axis2.databinding.utils.ConvertorUtil ) that used by
Axis2 expect to format like yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.sss'Z' when the fractional
seconds no more then a three positions

we understands from the webservice suppliers that the format is as define in
W3 specification
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime

some samples that we get in invoking the  webservice
2007-06-20T17:00:37.8380863GMT+02:00
2007-06-20T17:00:45.3GMT+02:00

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NumberFormatException: Unparseable
date: "2007-06-20T17:00:37.8380863GMT+02:00"
	at
com.orbograph.www.orboservice.OrboServiceStub.fromOM(OrboServiceStub.java:9400)
	at
com.orbograph.www.orboservice.OrboServiceStub.GetServerTime(OrboServiceStub.java:777)

Thanks,
zvika.

Re: axis2 Calendar convertToDateTime

Posted by Jon Diprose <jo...@strubi.ox.ac.uk>.
Ideally I'd get my changes committed to the source tree. I just haven't
figured out how to make that happen yet!

I'm guessing creating a bug report and attaching fix...

Jon

Posted by zvika <zv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Diprose <jo...@strubi.ox.ac.uk>.
Hi,

Hit exactly the same problem recently. Detailed reading of the spec seems to
indicate that adb implements the minimum required by the spec, though perhaps
falls short in the requirement to properly document this.

I spent a while rewriting convertToDateTime myself before I discovered that
(apologies for wrapping):

import com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.datatype.XMLGregorianCalendarImpl;

[snip]

public static Calendar convertToDateTime(String source) {
     return XMLGregorianCalendarImpl.parse(source).toGregorianCalendar();
}

seemed to do a much more through job. Xerces and xml-apis.jar are in the
classpath, so why not? This implementation rounds fractional seconds to the
nearest millisecond, deals with BCE dates and year > 9999 and provides a pure
Gregorian calendar as per the spec. The only other major difference seems to